Board logo

South East Owners - help
Kriss - 7/11/07 at 02:58 PM

Hi all,

Any owners in the South East. Surrey, Kent and Sussex in particular who would like to show me their pride and joy.

I am trying to establish what it is exactly that makes me tick. I want a seven type but not sure if its BEC or car lump I want. Weekend only fast road use and I do not have a scooby about maintenance. Love touches like carbon dashes and composite seats so a MAC#1 seems the best option for my £7-£8 budget.

So, I ask, anyone fairly local to me wish to share their opinions and a look around their cars?

Secondly, people in the afore mentioned areas, are there any places that exist which can help support kit cars as far as servicing etc goes? Or am I just being a pansy and wanting a kit car purely for the driving and not the messy stuff? I'm based in Purley, Surrey

speedyxjs - 7/11/07 at 03:15 PM

Sorry mines not fully built yet

shortie - 7/11/07 at 03:19 PM

Hi Kriss,

Are you looking to build or buy a car??

I am down in Horsham and you can come and look at mine whenever you like.

Pics are in my archive, mines and MK Indy with a blade engine.

Rich.

nick205 - 7/11/07 at 03:22 PM

Unless you get something built to your spec, then you will undoubtedly want to make changes to anything you buy. That means you'll have to get your hands dirty anyway so you might as well maintain and fix it yourself too - it's not difficult. Also, these cars are not like tin tops which are purpose built for minimal maintanence - you'll need to check things regularly and make sure the car stays roadworthy.

Don't let that put you off though as the rewards of ownership are well worth it.

I'm probably too far away in Hampshire, but I'd be happy to take you for a spin and chew the cud anytime

[Edited on 7/11/07 by nick205]

Humbug - 7/11/07 at 03:35 PM

Hi - I'm in Sevenoaks, Kent - not too far from you and I'd be happy to show you my car. It's a Stuart Taylor with a Rover K series 1.4, and I use it for general driving about plus the odd track day.

pics in my archive as well.

Jasper - 7/11/07 at 04:09 PM

I would not recommend one of these cars if you don't want to look after it, you'd be better off with an older production sportscar.

However, they are relatively simple to maintain and it's good fun to do.

I'm building a Stylus and I'm based down near Brighton. It will be back from the body shop at the end of the month, and you're welcome to come have a look then if you want. It's a bit more of a practical car than a seven, but with the same performance and handling, means you should get to use it more often....

Paul TigerB6 - 7/11/07 at 04:10 PM

Build a car from scratch or from a kit and you will learn such a huge amount doing it that by the time its on the road you will know 1000% more about cars than you do now and will have no qualms about maintaining it yourself. All the knowledge you need can be found here / Haynes manuals / wider internet anyway.

If you have the willingness to get stuck in you will no doubt enjoy the car so much more - and when things go wrong you will have a pretty good idea of where to look if you have built it yourself.

Dangle_kt - 7/11/07 at 04:44 PM

i knew jack about cars before I started, I still am very limited but I know alot more than I did - I feel confident to have a go and with the knowledgable people on here I really enjoying my build.

I really recommend jumping in someone elses car before you buy.

I was about to buy a car engined car(CEC), then I got in Worx's blade engined car and laughed like a girl for the full 30 mins or whatever it was. Suffice to say I'm now building a BEC.

Each to there own, you may prefer a CEC, but it would be a shame to miss out on the experience if nothing else!

Toady1 - 7/11/07 at 06:26 PM

deffinately not a car to own if you dont know how to or want to get involved in the maintenance side of things!

stevebubs - 8/11/07 at 01:38 AM

BGH Geartech / Cranbrook Kit Cars / Fisher Sportscars. All the same company and located nr Maidstone. Aeon is also nearby

BGH Should be able to provide you with runs out in CEC and BEC Furys

bassett - 9/11/07 at 11:52 AM

Hi kriss id definetly recommend going down the BEC route. I was really undecided at first but having been in a zetec engined tiger cat and a mk engined R1 i had to go for the R1. It felt simply in another league but worth trying it out for yourself as you might want something different as i would say the zetec felt slightly easier to handle round town. Id also for go the self build, i cant say much yet about mine but im really excited about the build itself and the pride with creating a car that i can say i built. Have a look at MNR i found the quality to be great for what i paid.
You didnt used to own a V6 Clio did you?

Adam

[Edited on 9/11/07 by bassett]

Kriss - 9/11/07 at 01:32 PM

cheers for all your replies. In the last week I have chatted with a fair few people and feel alot more confident about maintenance etc.

ZXRLocost has offered me a very good deal which I will be discussing in detail with him soon. One of my bestest buddies is building a Megabusa over the winter and he has been able to iron out so many of my concerns.

I work in Horsham (R&SA) so think the IndyBlade is a must do visit!