Board logo

Petrol Tank, plastic/Aluminium
unkle - 29/11/07 at 07:29 PM

Whats the main advantages/disadvantages of a plastic tank rather than a aluminium tank?

For I guess it's a lot lighter - any downsidws other than cost?

[Edited on 29/11/07 by unkle]

mookaloid - 29/11/07 at 07:39 PM

There's quite a history of plastic tanks springing leaks - do a search on here.

I had one - it leaked

scotty g - 29/11/07 at 08:15 PM

hmmm, i was gonna use a plakky tank, maybe i should have a rethink!

nick205 - 29/11/07 at 10:47 PM

With the need to use thicker plastic sheet than ally sheet is there any significant difference in weight, particularly as a % of the weight of the tank + petrol?

twybrow - 29/11/07 at 11:48 PM

Custom make a GRP tank. That way you can make it exactly the size you want. You would need to use a fuel reistant resin/gel but then, the world is your oyster!

Brooky - 30/11/07 at 08:14 AM

plastic tanks can work. We use 1800L water tanks at work. When we first started using them they burst quite a lot. Now, a few years down the line, they only burst when we accidentally put a 10bar pressure fed supply into them.

prelude1980 - 30/11/07 at 06:37 PM

we make plastic water and chemical tanks at work, i'm the design engineer, they just need to be designed to take whatever your putting in to them

DarrenW - 30/11/07 at 08:14 PM

My plastic tank has ben fine for 2 years so far.

David Jenkins - 30/11/07 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
My plastic tank has ben fine for 2 years so far.

In all fairness, it was one manufacturer off this site who allegedly was given sub-standard solvent. Unfortunately that chap unsubscribed after a large number of tanks started to leak. It has to be said that many of the ones he made didn't leak - but there was always an element of doubt after that.

Plastic tanks have been used in the motor-boat world for decades with no problems - it depends on the standard of construction and the quality of materials.

In my case, I bought an aluminium tank from a reputable supplier (Allyfab) purely for safety's sake. Cost not a lot more, but I was more than happy with the product.

iank - 1/12/07 at 11:44 AM

Tek tanks can make plastic tanks any size you want, they also do a range of standard ones which I'd expect are much cheaper.
http://www.tek-tanks.com/

Another source is Rally Design who sell American Jaz tanks.
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=281_303

Finally do a search on "deneo" he's been known to make aluminium tanks for board members.