Board logo

Noise protection
Aico - 10/12/07 at 02:08 PM

If you have a kitcar with only a small screen and you're also racing the car what earprotection do you need? The same as a biker or something else?

David Jenkins - 10/12/07 at 02:21 PM

I use the yellow general-purpose E.A.R plugs - very necessary, even when wearing a helmet!

Mr Whippy - 10/12/07 at 02:34 PM

I use them as well just for riding my bike, so much wind noise and the helmet seems to make it louder.

dhutch - 10/12/07 at 02:38 PM

Not driven a seven or a road bike, however at work (Students union, sound and lighting rigging and operation) we wear etymotic ear plugs and they are very good.
- Only about £7 and reusable and come with a carrying case.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

- edited to add link

Daniel

[Edited on 10/12/07 by dhutch]

Aico - 10/12/07 at 02:40 PM

Got a link for me to see? I can't find it on google. About the EAR brand...

[Edited on 10/12/07 by Aico]

David Jenkins - 10/12/07 at 03:12 PM

Here's the USA site - LINK - it's the 'Classic' I've used. But they're very common in the UK, and probably most of Europe as well.

You'll probably find that any motorbike shop will have some form of disposable foam earplug - they're cheap, so you can try a few and see what suits you best.

David

[Edited on 10/12/07 by David Jenkins]

Aico - 10/12/07 at 03:46 PM

I looked at some shops and found a nice one from Alpina in Holland. It's called the MOTOSAFE. Looks like the best you can get for the price of 20 Euro's.

BenB - 10/12/07 at 04:01 PM

Paff! Real men don't wear ear plugs, they wear hearing aids later in life!!!
Actually, I just put in my in-ear headphones from the mp3 player and burn some rubber to Hendrix....

JOKE TIME:

Man goes to his doctor complaining that he's loosing his hearing. Doctor says "okay, can you describe the symptoms". Patient goes "yes, Marge has tall blue hair and Homer's fat and lazy".
Boomboom...

Danozeman - 10/12/07 at 04:29 PM

You can get those foam things from arco. Theyr cheap as chips and quite good.

lin ky.

[Edited on 10/12/07 by Danozeman]

[Edited on 10/12/07 by Danozeman]

daviep - 10/12/07 at 06:51 PM

If you want decent ear plugs it has to be "laser lites" LINK

I have to wear plugs for work and these are the most comfortable I've tried, not only that but they have are the best protection available.

David Jenkins - 10/12/07 at 06:59 PM

Personally, I don't like the shaped ones - they go too far into my ear, and I end up with earache. Obviously this may not be the case for everyone.

Also, I don't like the ones that give too much noise reduction when I'm driving - I like to get a fair bit of input as I go along. All I want to reduce is the wind roar and buffeting.

The old-fashioned EAR Classic suit me best - may not be the case for everyone.

jordanphd - 10/12/07 at 07:07 PM

Hi everyone,

New on here but thought i would give a comment in this thread as very close to my heart.

I did a three year study (doctorate) on Hearing loss in occupational motorcyclists i.e. police bikers, ambulance bikers, racers etc. My results were quite scary!!!

The noise at work regulations say that you are allowed to have noise levels of 85 dB(A) for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. In such cases hearing should be pretty well protected.

Noise levels on typical motorbikes (style of bike didn't make much of a difference) were 105 dB(A) at 70 mph. To put that into perpective, this would be equivalent to 85 dB(A) for 6 mins, not very long until you start causing hearing damage.

I also took readings in a cabirolet car with the roof down, and these were similar to that on the bike. But this depended on where in the car you were sitting, car style etc. The car and bike manufacturers don't tell you that you might be causing damage to your hearing if you drive at 'normal' speeds!!!

As previously recommended ARCO do a good range of very affordable earplugs, just make sure that you put them in right. Hope it helps

zxrlocost - 10/12/07 at 07:21 PM

nothing better than 120db and 13,000rpm...

I dont worry about things anymore from what Ive seen it does you no better in life.........

Mr Whippy - 10/12/07 at 07:48 PM

When I first got a bike my ears would be ringing after only 20mins @ 50mph, these days I have a big bag of ear plugs in the back. Like you say there's nothing the the manuals about it.

quote:
Originally posted by jordanphd
Hi everyone,

New on here but thought i would give a comment in this thread as very close to my heart.

I did a three year study (doctorate) on Hearing loss in occupational motorcyclists i.e. police bikers, ambulance bikers, racers etc. My results were quite scary!!!

The noise at work regulations say that you are allowed to have noise levels of 85 dB(A) for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. In such cases hearing should be pretty well protected.

Noise levels on typical motorbikes (style of bike didn't make much of a difference) were 105 dB(A) at 70 mph. To put that into perpective, this would be equivalent to 85 dB(A) for 6 mins, not very long until you start causing hearing damage.

I also took readings in a cabirolet car with the roof down, and these were similar to that on the bike. But this depended on where in the car you were sitting, car style etc. The car and bike manufacturers don't tell you that you might be causing damage to your hearing if you drive at 'normal' speeds!!!

As previously recommended ARCO do a good range of very affordable earplugs, just make sure that you put them in right. Hope it helps

blueshift - 10/12/07 at 08:06 PM

I used to wear plugs in the mx-5 for motorways, even with the roof on.. I usually have a pair in my pocket, wear them out a gigs etc when it's loud. I have constant slight ringing in my ears these days and don't want it getting any worse.

RK - 11/12/07 at 01:48 AM

If you guys keep on taking care of your ears, there won't be any work for people like me. We audiologists with our own clinics depend on those with occupational and recreational noise induced hearing loss! How the hell do you think I can pay for this stupid car hobby/obsession/mental illness?

blueshift - 11/12/07 at 08:13 AM

RK, maybe use your qualifications to start a line in custom earplugs?

jrevillug - 11/12/07 at 08:57 PM

I use Moldex Spark Plugs in the Imp (esp. on long journeys), watching gigs and when on MOtorbikes.

here is a link to an online shop where they are £15 for 200 pairs, or £20.99 for 200 pairs with 'pocket packs'- boxes with 2 pairs in. Very useful.

James

RK - 12/12/07 at 12:44 AM

I do those, in fact did some a couple of months ago for a couple of mechanics, who HAPPEN, by total chance, be working on my 7 as we speak. I traded some custom musicians earplugs for some parts.