Board logo

Reg plates??
Mark G - 16/12/07 at 08:49 PM

I'm planning on building a MK Indy at the mo.

Was wondering what it would be registered as when its finished. Will it assume the identity of the Sierra donor, the blade engine donor, a Q plate or what ever the current reg when I register it (57 plate etc...)?

onzarob - 16/12/07 at 08:59 PM

there is lots of info in sva section but the basics as I see it are.

Sierra doner use engine gearbox as stated on V5 = age related

Use a USED bike engine and parts from everywhere = Q plate.

Use all NEW parts and one professionally re-coned part (invoice to prove) New Reg

HTH

bonzoronnie - 16/12/07 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
there is lots of info in sva section but the basics as I see it are.

Sierra doner use engine gearbox as stated on V5 = age related

Use a USED bike engine and parts from everywhere = Q plate.

Use all NEW parts and one professionally re-coned part (invoice to prove) New Reg

HTH

Thats about the long and short of it.

Ronnie

Mark G - 16/12/07 at 09:06 PM

So it'll be on a Q plate then.

Thanks guys.

rusty nuts - 16/12/07 at 09:12 PM

If you don't want a Q plate fit the Sierra engine , SVA and register the car , then fit the bike engine?

stuart_g - 16/12/07 at 10:01 PM

not strictly true, it is possible to use bike engine from the start and sierra donor parts and still get an age related plate.

Mark G - 16/12/07 at 10:38 PM

To be honest I'd rather have it on a Q over an age related plate unless I could get in on a 09(ish) plate.

snapper - 17/12/07 at 08:06 AM

personally i don't think it much matters, i know that the q gives a slightly better emissions requirement but you can't change the plate ever, both age related and new reg mean no MOT for 3 years and you can change them for a personal one if you wish. I suppose if you wanted to sell quickly the new reg would get you a better price.

DarrenW - 17/12/08 at 10:47 PM

DVLA dont like issuing Q's - something to do with complications for the police later on. Or at least thats what i was told.

Surely Q means its from dodgy origin.

RoadkillUK - 18/12/08 at 12:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
I'm planning on building a MK Indy at the mo.

Was wondering what it would be registered as when its finished. Will it assume the identity of the Sierra donor, the blade engine donor, a Q plate or what ever the current reg when I register it (57 plate etc...)?

I'm not sure what you mean by identity, the replies so far have covered Q or not, if you mean what will it be registered as? Then you can name it whatever you like.

If I've misunderstood, then ignore the above

Hellfire - 18/12/08 at 12:51 PM

You've actually got quite a few options for the registration mark. You could go for a Q plate, or you could go for an age related plate, based on either the age of the donor car or the age of the donor motorbike (providing you are in possession of the V5). All the aforementioned can be obtained for a BEC with relative ease. The more difficult option is a new registration. It can be done in one of two ways;

1 - Buy all new components, except for one item which has been reconditioned to 'as new' (usually with written proof required) or;

2 - By pulling the wool over the eyes of the DVLA and claiming all parts are new and providing dubious receipts.

Phil

adithorp - 19/12/08 at 12:26 PM

Is the date on the original post a year old and this has been dredged up or has the site thrown a wobbly and its a new topic with the wrong date?

adrian