Board logo

build area
bengtec - 11/2/08 at 02:09 PM

Hi all,

I'm still working out if i can build myself a car. initially i was going to build a grabercars la bala, i was very impressed with the design but since buying the plans I've found that it wont fit into my garage .

prior to that I'd looked into building a locost and looking at it now it seems to be the best option for me. (I'm possibly looking at making some custom body work for it in the future)

my work area is about 3 x 2.2m, do you think this is enough? from time to time i can take up more space (0.5-1m in both directions) but only for a day or so at a time.

also in the summer i expect I'll be able to get it out on my drive to work on if i need more space. i plan to put wheels on the bottom of a 18mm sheet of ply to build it on initially.

what do you think, can i do it in the space i have (and do you think 18mm ply will be rigid enough not to need additional strengthening supports?

big_wasa - 11/2/08 at 07:14 PM

I built my chassis on 3/4" ply in a 8'/4' space

Dangle_kt - 11/2/08 at 09:49 PM

its doable, but limited space leeds to stress, banged shins and swearing.

Maybe thats just me!

You do need to keep it pretty tidy. Invest in a small tool tray or stool with shelf, so you dont find your 12mm socket over the other side of the car, involving a 5 min clamber over 100 car parts to get it.

Good luck! It can be done!

iank - 11/2/08 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
its doable, but limited space leeds to stress, banged shins and swearing.

Maybe thats just me!

You do need to keep it pretty tidy. Invest in a small tool tray or stool with shelf, so you dont find your 12mm socket over the other side of the car, involving a 5 min clamber over 100 car parts to get it.

Good luck! It can be done!

You've got a camera installed in my garage - admit it

More seriously.
Ideally you'd have thicker ply screwed onto a 4x2 frame (long sides vertical) - but depends how flat your floor really is, if it's good then you should be ok.

BUT if you can build a proper build table, it raises the the chassis to a more comfortable height for working and gives you a nice big space to store donor parts until you need them.