Board logo

Rain cover options
Aico - 17/2/08 at 02:10 PM

I'm going to get a Seven, but I don't have any place to store it inside. I also don't have a driveway so I can't put a tent over it either. The only option is to store it outside and the car doesn't have wet weathergear nor doors and windscreen. I need to put a cover over it for rain etc. What would be the best option?

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320216994266&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

This seems very nice. It covers the interior, but not the whole car. Would this leave damage/rust to the front or is it covered by the bodywork? It's a Striker BTW.

Or should I go for a cover for the entire car? The one on Ebay seems easier to use.

RazMan - 17/2/08 at 02:19 PM

Whatever you choose it is best to leave an air gap between the cover and the car if possible. From past experience it is much easier to get things wet than dry them out so if you can circulate some air while keeping rainwater out then you have a better chance of keeping everything dry and mould free.

marshall - 17/2/08 at 02:37 PM

i have one of the covers you are looking at on ebay. it is good for what it is and
it fits in my small boot i have a avon.but if it rains hard it will start to sag in the middle.

triumphdave - 17/2/08 at 05:56 PM

I have one of those for my seven,use it overnight at work but like marshall sais they do sag when they get wet,I tried a bungee from the center of the top of the windscreen to the rollbar before puting the cover on,this helps quite a lot.They are well made though and fold up nice and small.

macspeedy - 17/2/08 at 07:00 PM

how about a good tonneau ? we have seen westfields with full weather gear living outside up here in rainy Scotland also

Aico - 17/2/08 at 07:11 PM

A tonneau is just a cover for the interior right? Will it hold back when it's raining and standing still afterwards? There is none on the Striker, but howmuch would it cost to have it fitted incl parts?

macspeedy - 17/2/08 at 07:31 PM

Tonneau

these guys should beable to help you, tonneau is just the interior as per first pic on website. The shape can be helped with a ridgid tube along the middle.