Board logo

Accelerator pedal travel
David Jenkins - 25/2/08 at 04:50 PM

Time to get your rulers out! (ooer!)

I'm wondering what sort of accelerator pedal travel people have got. Having just fitted the linkage to my bike carbs, the pedal 'stroke' seems a bit short - but in reality I think it's just the same as it was before, but it feels different.

It wouldn't be too hard for me to change the pedal ratio, but it would be useful to know what's 'normal'.

cheers,
David

RazMan - 25/2/08 at 05:07 PM

Normal is whatever feels right to you A bit like steering racks really....

Mix - 25/2/08 at 05:09 PM

Rulers!!......get with it,
My, as yet unproven, CAD pedal box is based around an actual movement at the throttle bodies of 22mm which manifests as a pedal movement of 105.5mm.
I'll watch this thread with interest as I've already made the pedal box to these dimensions.

Regards Mick

Paul TigerB6 - 25/2/08 at 05:43 PM

Do admin not like you Mr Mix?? Some people get senior builder, N00bie or contributor, but you get T****r just below your name on the left there!!!

Confused but excited. - 25/2/08 at 07:32 PM

Never noticed that before.
ROFPMSL

edit; Sorry.

[Edited on 25/2/08 by Confused but excited.]

snapper - 25/2/08 at 08:17 PM

Same problem on mine, the solution is either to move the cable attachment point closer to the pivot or move the pivot closer to the attachment point.

Move movement at the pedal for less at the cable equals a longer trottle pedal feel

Peteff - 25/2/08 at 08:20 PM

It beats contributor doesn't it?

David Jenkins - 25/2/08 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Same problem on mine, the solution is either to move the cable attachment point closer to the pivot or move the pivot closer to the attachment point.

Move movement at the pedal for less at the cable equals a longer trottle pedal feel

I know that!

At the moment it just feels... different. The feel of the long cable between carbs and pedal is odd. I think I'll have to see what it's like on the road before I start hacking the pedal around.

RazMan - 25/2/08 at 11:14 PM

David, you could try putting a spring on the carb end to get a better feel - not on the pedal though or you could pull the nipple out and jam the throttle open

David Jenkins - 26/2/08 at 08:58 AM

So far I've got the carb's original return spring, and another where the bike's return cable would have gone, and I'm thinking about one on the pedal to help everything snap back.

Spring heaven!