Board logo

Building a big shed??????????
rayward - 25/2/08 at 08:53 PM

finally had it confirmed from the council, that i dont need planning permission for a shed up to 15sqm, soooooooooooo

any idea on cost of a 2.4 x 5.0 m wooden shed?

any good suppliers?

cheers
Ray

zilspeed - 25/2/08 at 09:01 PM

2.4 x 4.8M - under £500. That was for my lovely little shed.

Let me get back to you with exact numbers.

AndyW - 25/2/08 at 09:03 PM

just do a google search, thats what I did when I was looking at a large wooden garage, you seem to have more choice if you search for "wooden garage". found a 22foot by 14 foot for about 2k hope that helps.

Mr Whippy - 25/2/08 at 09:06 PM

would this be a garage/shed?

zilspeed - 25/2/08 at 09:12 PM

You're building it yourself, right ?

This is mine inside just finished.

As I said above, build it youself and it's under 500 notes. Not 2 grand. Rescued attachment IM000317 Smaller.JPG
Rescued attachment IM000317 Smaller.JPG

McLannahan - 25/2/08 at 09:28 PM

Zil - Have you anymore details?

I'd love to build myself a shed pad. I've an odd shape concrete base already so the difficult work's been done!

Not that you're close but who supplied all your timber?

Many thanks

locoboy - 25/2/08 at 09:32 PM

18 ft x 10 ft with heavy duty floor cost me £1500 erected.

chassis in shed
chassis in shed

after shed
after shed

£30 for the slabs out the paper.

Mr Whippy - 25/2/08 at 09:34 PM

I get loads of timber from Jewsons, they've been very good so far

JoelP - 25/2/08 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

my experience of Jewsons is that at the door they remove your trousers, and at the counter violate you. Id rather go to pee and poo. Or rather still, a proper timber supplier.

For instance, jewsons bucket £4, b&q about 70p.

zilspeed - 25/2/08 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

I'd love to build myself a shed pad. I've an odd shape concrete base already so the difficult work's been done!

Many thanks

I got my stuff from These Guys

In typical zil fashion, I had to come up with a way of getting the stuff at the best price, which meant avoiding traditional builders merchants.
I went to the adtrader website where the small local timber merchants advertise. They get their stuff directly from the sawmills and typically charge much much less.

The preservative came from - Lidls on one of their Thursday deals. Bought a box of 4" nails for the framing and did the weatherboarding with an air nailer powered by my Aldi compressor.

Cut every last bit of timber including all of those trusses with a Sandvik 244 which cost £6, like they always have done.

McLannahan - 25/2/08 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

Many thanks

I got my stuff from These Guys

In typical zil fashion, I had to come up with a way of getting the stuff at the best price, which meant avoiding traditional builders merchants.
I went to the adtrader website where the small local timber merchants advertise. They get their stuff directly from the sawmills and typically charge much much less.

The preservative came from - Lidls on one of their Thursday deals. Bought a box of 4" nails for the framing and did the weatherboarding with an air nailer powered by my Aldi compressor.

Cut every last bit of timber including all of those trusses with a Sandvik 244 which cost £6, like they always have done.

Thanks for that - much appreciated!

owelly - 25/2/08 at 10:26 PM

Don't get me started on B&fekin Q 70p buckets!!! I mixed half a bucket of plaster and as I lifted it onto my board, the bucket split and poured the contents all over a brand new kitchen!! And my shoes!!! I use Gorilla tubs now. Much safer......

onzarob - 25/2/08 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

Thats nice to see,proper use of tools to save money, just add sweat. That roof looks great

tomblyth - 25/2/08 at 10:41 PM

does it have to be wood?
load of different types of pre fab on the market!
http://business.listings.ebay.co.uk/Containers-Pre-Fab-Buildings_Pre-Fabricated-Buildings_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ55805QQsocmdZListingItemList

Mr Whippy - 25/2/08 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

my experience of Jewsons is that at the door they remove your trousers, and at the counter violate you.
quote:

that might have been the wrong shop

DarrenW - 26/2/08 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

my experience of Jewsons is that at the door they remove your trousers, and at the counter violate you. Id rather go to pee and poo. Or rather still, a proper timber supplier.

For instance, jewsons bucket £4, b&q about 70p.

So im not the only one then. Dont get me started on Jewsons.......

For the shed try making it yourself. Id recommend a proper base with some founds. Wouldnt it be nice to make the shed all nice looking etc and then clumsily find one day it had a skin of concrete blocks appear on the inside for some strange inexplicable reason.

Pop along to timber supplies and take a look at what external shed woodwork they do. You will probs get some decent stuff. Id guess CLS would do for a good frame.
Might also be worth talking to one of those places that make bespoke sheds etc to have a nose at the timber sizes and construction. The DIY places only supply to a cost, quality not too great for long term durability imho.

If you do make yourself why not line with visqueen, add some insulation and sheet out the inside with sterling board etc. They also seem to last longer if a row of blocks are put down first so shed starts a foot off the ground.

JoelP - 26/2/08 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Don't get me started on B&fekin Q 70p buckets!!! I mixed half a bucket of plaster and as I lifted it onto my board, the bucket split and poured the contents all over a brand new kitchen!! And my shoes!!! I use Gorilla tubs now. Much safer......

love them flexi buckets, twatface has lost both of mine now hence back to the disposable ones!

kipper - 26/2/08 at 06:49 PM

Hi Ray.
I work at a company called Service Timber near selby.
We have a bi-monthly auctionwhich as it happens is this Saturday,
You could get all you want from there at bargain prices.
We are on Breighton airfield between Howden and Bubwith.
Good luck
Kipper.