Board logo

What happened to kit car crisis?
bassett - 5/3/08 at 02:32 PM

Just seen discovery real time or what ever it is are airing kit car crisis again between 1-2. Just out of interest does anyone know if the car and owner ever entered the RGB or if the car was ever finished after the test day incident?
Adam

stuart_g - 5/3/08 at 02:37 PM

If the car ever got finished and didn't fall apart on track I would be very surprised.
I think the company that made the chassis went under.

Jon Ison - 5/3/08 at 02:56 PM

No it did'nt.

The chassis was crushed, I bought the bodywork.

bassett - 5/3/08 at 03:10 PM

Jon if you know any more could you expand on the situation like did it ever get finished/go racing?
Cheers

Mr Whippy - 5/3/08 at 03:10 PM

must have been bad to end up crushed

jacko - 5/3/08 at 03:15 PM

chassis bent on first run of testing on the programme due to not using the adviced diff from the chassis manufacturers if my memory serves me right.

bassett - 5/3/08 at 03:43 PM

oh right i thought it was going to be part of the craddle or something that could be fixed. Sounds like a real waste but just aswell he didnt race as guys in the RGB were in another league

phoenix70 - 5/3/08 at 03:43 PM

Didn't the engine end up on ebay?

It was the most ludicrous program I've ever seen

A guy with no racing experience at all and no building experience decides to build what would have been a extremely rapid car for his first ever foray into racing, not only that but build a car that had no racing pedigree, then modify it even more. Anyone remember the bit when the guys race prepping it broke some of the welds on the front suspension, I bet the company that built the chassis cringe every time they see that and watch another potential sale evaporate

Probably just as well he never raced it, he would probably of kill himself had he managed to get it to a race.

[Edited on 5/3/08 by phoenix70]

Jubal - 5/3/08 at 03:46 PM

It is a real shame when I catch an episode of that on TV and watch for a few mins. All those beautiful parts getting fitted with the best of intentions and it ending up the way it did! What a missed opportunity

Jon Ison - 5/3/08 at 03:47 PM

The car never raced, it failed as above on 1st test session at Rockingham, yup the engine did find its way onto ebay, are they running a re run ?

If so look out for the Mallory testing and race, you may just see Moi..........

bassett - 5/3/08 at 04:56 PM

i think it still warrants watching no matter how bad the hole thing sounds and it is quite funny aswel. It was re aired starting the build today and was at 1-2pm and i think its on same times on weekdays till next week.

blue2cv - 5/3/08 at 06:36 PM

Had he mounted the transaxle as the manufacturer intended it to be, he would have had very little problem with the rear end, bar poor welding etc, it would seem all involved were plums.

cloudy - 5/3/08 at 07:20 PM

Anyone got a copy of this? Love to see it but dont have sky....

James

woodster - 6/3/08 at 10:21 AM

quote:
it would seem all involved were plums.

enough said

RK - 7/3/08 at 02:47 AM

ditto. love to see it, but can't get it over here.

TimC - 9/3/08 at 12:44 PM

Also worth watching are a couple of pilots on Youtube involving Stingray Motorsport and their efforts to build two Sylva R1ots for the RGB championships. Nothing ever came of it but if you're bored...