Board logo

can you weld to handbrake cable?
smart51 - 27/3/08 at 06:32 PM

An odd question, yes. I must have clicked on the wrong thing and rather than buy solder on cable nipples, I bought extra ferrules. My fault.

Anyway, what other ways can I fit ends to my cable. All suggestions are welcome but why not drill through a piece of round bar and weld the other end of the brake cable? Or is that just stupid?

madteg - 27/3/08 at 06:36 PM

I have put a blob of weld on the end of my cable, its lasted 18 months up to now but you have to be very quick as it melts so easy. kev.

MikeR - 27/3/08 at 06:42 PM

i've heard of people splaying the ends of the cable once they've got something on and then putting a blob of weld on the splayed ends to stop the thing slipping past.

britishtrident - 27/3/08 at 07:07 PM

I found a blob of weld tends into a neat ball on the end of the cable --

paulf - 27/3/08 at 07:30 PM

I welded a steel nipple onto mine, its lasted 4 years so far.Just countersink the end and then fit the cable, splay the end apart then weld it quickly using a highish current so that it fuses into a blob.May be worth practicing on a scrap bit of cable first.
Paul.

russbost - 27/3/08 at 07:34 PM

Surely brazing would be better?

britishtrident - 27/3/08 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Yes

snapper - 27/3/08 at 08:00 PM

Brazing cable is just as difficult, the heat to melt the brazeing rod would melt the individual fibres of the cable.
You could heat the ferul and add braze.
I used a small bolt drilled through and the weld method.
Also smaked the bolt to crimp it to the cable as well

paulf - 27/3/08 at 08:21 PM

I have brazed cables in the past but it is difficult to do without softening the cable beyond the nipple, leading to it fraying.if done with care and a little practice it is possible to just fuse the ends of the cable with no heat transfer to the rest.
Paul.

nitram38 - 27/3/08 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost

I haven't done this on a handbrake cable but silver solder and a fine flame on it will be better.

westf27 - 27/3/08 at 09:16 PM

I welded my niples or is it nipples? well there were two anyway

smart51 - 27/3/08 at 09:45 PM

Welding the cable is the quickest way of cutting it I've ever found It even leaves the end cortorised. Passing it through a drilled hole takes away the heat enough to weld to it nicely. In the end, I thought of a good way to bolt the cable so don't need to weld after all, except to stop the ends fraying.

RazMan - 27/3/08 at 10:52 PM

Silver solder and a micro flame torch works for me