Board logo

Air filter material
David Jenkins - 7/4/08 at 08:35 AM

Having failed to find a suitable air filter for my bike carbs I'm going to try to make my own (I've looked at K&N, Pipercross and ITG).

Does anyone know where I can get a sheet of good-quality air filter material suitable for use in a car?

I know about fish-tank filters, but I want something that's similar to pipercross's foam - several layers, with a fire-retardant layer facing the carbs.

It's all very frustrating, as the air filter is the last stage before I can take it for a tune-up!

worX - 7/4/08 at 08:44 AM

Depending on the size you want I may have some!

I bought a panel for a job and never used it...

I was keeping it for a rainy day, but if you want it, you can? what size do you need and I'll check my piece.

Cheers,
Steve

ditchlewis - 7/4/08 at 09:04 AM

I have a similar problem but due to space between the carb and the top chassis rail.

i am going to make a steel back plate for the carbs and then a glass fibre or steel air box with a cone filter on the widest end.

i take it that you did not go out for a drive on saturday, it was cold but fun.

ditch

[Edited on 7/4/08 by ditchlewis]

David Jenkins - 7/4/08 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by worX

I was keeping it for a rainy day, but if you want it, you can? what size do you need and I'll check my piece.

Cheers,
Steve

I'll need roughly 400mm x 250mm (maybe 300mm, not sure).

What sort of stuff is it?

David

[Edited on 7/4/08 by David Jenkins]

balidey - 7/4/08 at 10:04 AM

ITG make filters to custom sizes, and they may sell filter material, worth a call to ask them

worX - 7/4/08 at 10:17 AM

Just measured it David and it's a 300mm square piece of material, so not big enough I'm afraid!

It's air filter material that BigRich got for me from a motorbike shop local to him. I bought it to use for the airbox I made for PaulMW but in the end fitted a BMC Filter so didn't use it...
Steve

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

Cheers,
Steve

I'll need roughly 400mm x 250mm (maybe 300mm, not sure).

What sort of stuff is it?

David

David Jenkins - 7/4/08 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Just measured it David and it's a 300mm square piece of material, so not big enough I'm afraid!

Shame - but it's a good lead on a possible source! Looks like I might visit a bike shop on Saturday! Or maybe have a look when I get to Detling...

snapper - 7/4/08 at 10:48 AM

Pipercross do 3 layer foam material in sheet form for £14 + VAT for 30cm x 60cm
You will need wire sheet to support it + you home made airbox

David Jenkins - 7/4/08 at 10:49 AM

Ah - another good source!

UPDATE: communicated with Pipercross, confirmed that they have it in stock, and will be ordering some once I have confirmed the dimensions.

Thanks all!

balidey - 7/4/08 at 11:55 AM

Last time my dad got a custom made ITG filter delivered guess what packaging material they used to protect it in the box.........

will121 - 7/4/08 at 03:04 PM

i made myself a airbox to the shape of the inside of the bonnet as didnt want to make another hole in the side of the bonet, there is a picture in my archive which is to big to post. the filter material is pipercross and came from www.gprdirect.com who sell it in sheets about 600x600mm

mistergrumpy - 7/4/08 at 06:02 PM

Here you go Will

[img][/img]