Board logo

Is it Possible
rayward - 26/4/08 at 11:08 AM

To build a BEC for track use only (ie no SVA bits needed) For £2k ???????

zilspeed - 26/4/08 at 11:25 AM

You forgot to add

Absobleedinglutley

Ok, mine may not be an MK or the like, but it's going to be well under that figure and the manifacturer does carry a degree of respect.

[Edited on 26/4/08 by zilspeed]

JoelP - 26/4/08 at 11:27 AM

yes (if your name is zilspeed)

I think at minimum you would need to spend about £5-600 on an engine, sprocket and prop. So if you make a lot and leave out a lot, you would manage fine!

lol crossed posted with john

[Edited on 26/4/08 by JoelP]

Mole - 26/4/08 at 11:32 AM

I voted yes although I'm building a cec and it will exceed that figure. I recon though if you were extremley careful / stingey and planned the spending out in ways I could never be bothered then it should be possible.

coozer - 26/4/08 at 12:35 PM

Someone else's unfinished project and a, for example CBR1000F, FJ1200, ZZR1100, engine?

worX - 26/4/08 at 03:24 PM

I voted yes, but I have to admit I think it would look like a dog.

I personally think you would end up spending around £1000 on an engine/prop/sprocket adapter/exhaust & can etc

Which leaves you with a thousand pounds so source everything else.

If you were to say £2500 you would get bloody close, but in my honest opinion, you could probably build quite a nice locost BEC for £3000... I think that extra £500 - £1000 would make a very big difference.

HTH
Steve

nitram38 - 26/4/08 at 04:40 PM

Not if you intend winning anything!

zilspeed - 26/4/08 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

Ok, let's take that thought a bit further.

I have in front of me the entry list for tomorrow's hillclimb.
In the tiny sportscar class - where we 're interested in - it's full of Megabusas and a Fisher Fury.
In the big engined class, we have a 2.2 BDA Caterham, the DAX IRS with the Drenth box and various other Westfields.

Who is going to win ?

The best driver would be the answer. Machinery counts up to a point, but I bet you all the money I have that once my car is finished, I could hand it to any of those drivers and they would be competitive just by adding decent hillclimb spec tyres. Conversely, I could go in their cars and be rubbish.

Just a thought about money buying wins. It isn't always the case IMHO.

YMMV

nitram38 - 26/4/08 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

Ok, let's take that thought a bit further.

I have in front of me the entry list for tomorrow's hillclimb.
In the tiny sportscar class - where we 're interested in - it's full of Megabusas and a Fisher Fury.
In the big engined class, we have a 2.2 BDA Caterham, the DAX IRS with the Drenth box and various other Westfields.

Who is going to win ?

The best driver would be the answer. Machinery counts up to a point, but I bet you all the money I have that once my car is finished, I could hand it to any of those drivers and they would be competitive just by adding decent hillclimb spec tyres. Conversely, I could go in their cars and be rubbish.

Just a thought about money buying wins. It isn't always the case IMHO.

YMMV

I would say the RELIABLE car and the best driver.
I have built racecars with all new parts that have had mecanical failures.
Cars with second hand parts tend to fail even more.

mark chandler - 26/4/08 at 07:10 PM

Easy for a scratch build, and it should look very good !

£300 tubes and ali, £500 engine £100 donor leaves loads over for 13" wheels, sticky tyres and paint & decent brakes.

RK - 28/4/08 at 02:23 AM

I think if you got a lot of stuff for free or a good donor you could manage, but anything off EBay and your budget is ruined!!