Board logo

Reccomend me a Sat Nav?
jambojeef - 1/5/08 at 02:34 PM

The time has come....

Have been balancing maps on the steering wheel for too long!

Anyone reccomend me one that works well, doesnt break and will navigate me to the 'ring this summer?

Im thinking TomTom XL Europe @ £160ish

Not bothered about traffic re-routing, that seems to cost more!

Geoff

Mr Whippy - 1/5/08 at 02:37 PM

what ever one you get (I have road angel) make sure it has speed camera function and also check what the deal is for the updates. Mind was free for 3 month or so and then I had to pay for it.

I now use my phone which has better maps and free updates

you can tell I'm not busy today can't you! done all my work, ready for tomorrows meetings.

[Edited on 1/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

Alan B - 1/5/08 at 02:40 PM

Garmin...no question.

The rest are utter shite by comparison*

*(I actually have no experience of any others, I'm just feeling stroppy today...)

balidey - 1/5/08 at 02:46 PM

I've tried a few, my current favourite is tomtom.

(although I've said before, best one I had was a Porsche OEM one, the fraulein on that was HOT and I could tell she fancied me )

BenB - 1/5/08 at 02:46 PM

I use a Tomtom one XL Europe

And I like it!!!

Never tried a different one to compare it to- but I like it....

One useful thing is the ability to draw up maps on Google maps then put it into the Tomtom itenary. Much easier to do it that way than doing it via the Tomtom directly. It's a useful function, especially for touring when you can put the route map in there....

madrallysport - 1/5/08 at 02:52 PM

Got a tom tom one europe, does what it says on the box, its very good for me, but i only use it sometimes. I got mine from halfords during a discount period for £125, which i thought was very good.

jambojeef - 1/5/08 at 03:27 PM

Yeah perhaps I need to wait for the next Halfrauds sale?

Bit more map balancing for a month or two then?!

coozer - 1/5/08 at 03:30 PM

Navigo from ebuyer then put the TomTom 6 software on it.

Thats what I've done, £65 all in, bargain.

Navigo

[Edited on 1/5/08 by coozer]

DarrenW - 1/5/08 at 03:33 PM

Ive only ever used basic tomtom one but find its great.

Would like new UK map and maybe some euro ones but dont know where is cheapest.

Guinness - 1/5/08 at 03:41 PM

Geoff, you can borrow my Navman for a week if you want! See if it's worthwhile.

Mike

Humbug - 1/5/08 at 03:42 PM

Found this on Money Saving Expertthis

These are the ones it mentions:

Navman N20 from Amazon £100

Navigo from ebuyer £65

Garmin Nuvo from Amazon £100

907 - 1/5/08 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Garmin...no question.

The rest are utter shite by comparison*

*(I actually have no experience of any others, I'm just feeling stroppy today...)

I love this post.

It's sort of biased... with a hint of honesty.

Paul G

Hellfire - 1/5/08 at 03:59 PM

Tried a Garmin - have a TOMTOM One - nuf said!

Steve

Jasper - 1/5/08 at 04:07 PM

Get yourself a nice new Symbian mobile phone and use that - apparently all the maps are available for free download on the internet

RazMan - 1/5/08 at 04:17 PM

Navman N20 or F20 depending on your budget. Free safety camera updates and customisable poi files.

I'm a cabby now and I wouldn't be without mine!

novacaine - 1/5/08 at 05:02 PM

Cheesy i know but you gotta admit, its a bit different .....
Cheap too

Clicky

BenB - 1/5/08 at 05:52 PM

One thing I would point out about the Tomtom Euro XL is that it's map of Europe isn't the most detailed in the world!!!

It's annoying to pay extra to get the Euro version only to find it doesn't include the whole of Europe and you're being offered "upgrades" of the Alps area etc etc...

zetec - 1/5/08 at 06:24 PM

used the Tom Tom one Europe last year from Halfords. Even had froggy speed cameras loaded and got me from ferry to a site in the middle of nowhere no probs. it's easy to use, not too big. Do yourself a favour and make us a decent mount, bought a docking station off ebay and now its hard wired for power and no more silly suckers on the screen or fag socket wires getting in the way. just slides out of the mount when you take it with you.

westf27 - 1/5/08 at 06:48 PM

Got a Tom Tom go 300 and just bought a Navman for £78.00 at Tesco.They both get me there,what else do you want!!

pif - 1/5/08 at 07:53 PM

garmin, always better than tomtom - in every way.

jambojeef - 1/5/08 at 09:13 PM

Hmm, well thats conclusive then its a tomtomgarminnavmanmobilephone I want!

Mike,

I might have to take you up on your offer!

I have had a couple of friends this week say their tomtoms have stopped accepting charge from the mains adaptor which kinda put me off......haivng said that my old man's n20 navman did that and needed a resetand then it was fine...

Peteff - 1/5/08 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Navigo

I got one when they were £50 on ebuyer a couple of months back and did the download for Mio maps and TomTom. I like the TomTom best so far. Bl**dy brilliant deal.

RoadkillUK - 2/5/08 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Navigo

I got one when they were £50 on ebuyer a couple of months back and did the download for Mio maps and TomTom. I like the TomTom best so far. Bl**dy brilliant deal.

I got one too when the price was £50, I have the original turbodog (crap), TomTom (Good) and MioMap (Also Goo).

My preference is MioMap, but each to their own.

All that being said, you can't fault TomTom

P.S. All 3 fit nicely on a 1g SD card with space for an episode of something to watch when you're NOT driving.