Board logo

Argh! No bleedin' use whatsoever!
David Jenkins - 6/5/08 at 08:35 PM

I've now got an AFR sensor boss on my exhaust. I plan to run with a plain plug most of the time, and only occasionally fit the sensor when I need to do some testing. As I had a major battle getting the plug out over the weekend after just 10 or 20 miles, I realised that I needed to use some anti-seize paste when I refit the plug.

Now I know that you have to be careful when choosing the lubricant as some can screw up the sensor, so I thought I'd do a quick Google to see what the right stuff might be.

Absolutely EVERY site I looked at said "use the anti-seize that comes with the sensor" or "the sensor will have anti-seize already applied to the threads". No use to me whatsoever...

Anyone know of an oxygen-sensor-safe anti-seize product that I'm likely to find in a motor factors or, heaven preserve me, Halfords?

dubstar_04 - 6/5/08 at 08:38 PM

Lather it in copper slip?

Danozeman - 6/5/08 at 08:40 PM

Copper slip is best for that i reckon

nick205 - 6/5/08 at 08:41 PM

leave it in there and fit an electrical switch/connector somewhere if you need/want the option to disconnect it?

paulf - 6/5/08 at 08:48 PM

That would be no good as wideband sensors have to be heated at all times when in an exhaust stream.As said above copper slip applied sparingly to the threads should do no harm.
I have been using a substance called never seize which is very similar but grey in colour and the new sensor that i have looks to have something similiar on the threads.The main thing to avoid is silicon as even a small amount will destroy the sensor.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
leave it in there and fit an electrical switch/connector somewhere if you need/want the option to disconnect it?

David Jenkins - 6/5/08 at 08:51 PM

I think only some copper greases are safe - but I don't know which ones!

There's a lot of talk of a 'graphite and glass bead' compound, but no mention of where you can buy it.

Can't leave the sensor in place as it's a wide-band one that must be driven by a controller all the time while the engine is running.

As for the connector - are you talking about the '6-in-a-line' connector for the '6066' sensor? If so, I eventually ordered one of that Aussie site I whinged about a few weeks ago - haven't received it yet though. If it's OK when it arrives I'll let you know.

MkIndy7 - 6/5/08 at 09:00 PM

The Graphite paste would be available from a good Heating Suppliers, maybe on the industrial side as its used for re-building steam boilers after they've been stripped down for inspection.

Is there no point leaving the Lambda in and running a guage or a small digital volt meter or even a strip of LED's from it?, they've got a pretty good lifespan.

I was just thinking for ours when we've finished tuning the MS and don't take the laptop anymore we'll have no idea of any potential problems in the future.. so we might look at some sort of guage or indicator.

BenB - 6/5/08 at 09:12 PM

Maybe I was lucky but I just screwed mine in plain. No thread lock, no anti-sieze paste. Took a bit of leverage to unscrew it but came in the end.....

snapper - 6/5/08 at 09:18 PM

I heard somewhere that if you cant get graphite powder use a soft pencil

907 - 6/5/08 at 10:22 PM

After welding in a threaded boss it's "good engineering practice" to run a tap through (when cold).

Welding shrinks the boss, more so if it's stainless.

Just a thought.

Paul G

David Jenkins - 7/5/08 at 07:49 AM

I ran a tap through once I'd forced the plug out...

I suppose I could leave the thing in and use its output somehow. I've ordered a numeric display kit, but I don't want that on the dash - I barely look at anything other than the tacho and the warning lights when I'm on the move (oh - and the speedo of course, officer!)

David Jenkins - 7/5/08 at 09:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by robocog

Order arrived today ;-)

Apparently mine's turned up this morning!

02GF74 - 7/5/08 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I heard somewhere that if you cant get graphite powder use a soft pencil

yeah, me too, rub the threads with a B pencil.

would it help to fit a copper crush washer be fitted so the threads are not done up so tight?

David Jenkins - 7/5/08 at 09:34 AM

Just realised - I've got a little squeezy bottle of lock graphite at home - maybe that'll do the trick.

The plug came with a solid copper washer - maybe a crush washer would be better - anyone know where I can get one?