Board logo

BMW gearboxes
matt_claydon - 1/6/08 at 08:25 PM

Long shot but maybe someone on here can help!

I'm trying to mate a BMW gearbox to a Volvo T5 engine. I have an adapter plate with the correct bellhousing pattern for the BMW 'small' bolt pattern and a gearbox from an E30 3-series (I think it was a 320, although I'm after the stronger box from the 325).

Unfortunately it seems like the input shaft is too short as the nose doesn't engage with the spigot bearing and the splines don't fully engage with the clutch plate.

The input shaft stops just short of the bellhousing by about 5mm but for my installation I think I need it to protrude by about 10mm.

There must be a suitable box otherwise they wouldn't make the adapter, but a lot of the info online in forums etc is in Swedish. Does anyone have any knowledge of BMW boxes and could offer any advice?

Matt.

eccsmk - 1/6/08 at 08:29 PM

im going to see a mate tomorrow who builds gearboxes has all books etc
ill ask him and pop a reply up when i get home
HTH

Agriv8 - 1/6/08 at 08:39 PM

There is a rare BMW box with a removable bellhousing ( I am running one mated to my Rover v8 )

but rather than searching for info on BMW have you tried Searching for getrag ( they make most of the BMW boxses ) though they made volvo ones as well but arnt sure on that.

regards
Agriv8

James - 1/6/08 at 08:41 PM

Volvosport might be the one on here to direct to this thread.

Certainly knows his Volvo onions!

HTH,
James

philw - 1/6/08 at 08:49 PM

IIRC you need a Getrag 265 box.

[Edited on 1/6/08 by philw]

rusty nuts - 1/6/08 at 09:12 PM

As for the instructions maybe one of our Swedish members can help?

Volvorsport - 2/6/08 at 07:51 PM

ive got a 325 box , are you wanting a 265 getrag ?

i can measure both , but i dont think either protrude from the bellhousing .

youve got a solid flywheel and normal clutch not a dual mass ?

when running an M90 box , the input shaft doesnt reach the spigot bearing and nobody seems to have a problem .

matt_claydon - 3/6/08 at 07:51 AM

That's interesting. I had wondered if the spigot bearing was that important. FWD boxes don't use them afterall.

I think the Getrag 265 only came with the 'big six' bolt pattern, is that right? I'm using the 'small six' pattern which was used on engines up to 2.5 (2.8?) I think.

I have a Getrag 240 box I got for a tenner for sizing up but am hoping to get a 260 as I'm not sure the 240 is up to the torque.

I have a solid flywheel ATM but it's quite thin and I'm not sure the clutch release will reach. The dual mass is much thicker but I want to avoid the extra bulk if possible.

Assuming I forget the spigot bearing, any other good ideas about the clutch release other than the thicker flywheel?

Cheers,
Matt.

Edit: Clutch plate just arrived and I've found it only locates on the splines by about 10mm with the solid flywheel. The dual mass would put it about right though by my reckoning (assuming it fits with the same starter etc?!). Would this be a reasonable solution? How bad are they? At the moment I'm more concerned with getting it back on the road for the summer than having the best setup!

[Edited on 3/6/08 by matt_claydon]

Volvorsport - 3/6/08 at 04:57 PM

well the dual mass setup survives at 250 hp , its just that you wouldnt trust it given that if it goes wrong they are horrendously expensive .

ive got a 260 box and a 265 , so i can try them for you for inout shaft length .

if you can give me the dimensions of the input shaft from the ace of teh bellhousing etc .