Board logo

does a 7 like chassis like this exist?
02GF74 - 5/6/08 at 10:41 AM

Does anyone make the follwimng chassis:

1. inboard front suspension
2. IRS rear
3. 4wd drive
4. suitable for rover v8?

(3. and 4. may not be possible as I a not aware of gearbox other than LR/RR which are no use)

82 Locost - 5/6/08 at 10:47 AM

I don't think it's been done.

However, the sierra 4x4 might be a better bet, although I think they were only V6 and therefore very heavy.

I've always thought a 2 bike engine set-up would be better (lighter, more power, flat floor?) although getting them harmonised might be a bit of a problem.

tegwin - 5/6/08 at 10:49 AM

The audi V8 4wd platform might work.....

indykid - 5/6/08 at 10:51 AM

how close did dax get with the quadra rush?

i know they did v8 and others, but was it only the cosworth fitted to the quadra?

don't think it was inboard front either
tom

mcerd1 - 5/6/08 at 10:53 AM

apart for the inboard front shocks its all been done in a Dax Rush before (3 one off cars as far as I know)

im not sure there would be any room for the inboard shocks with the 4x4 as well

this was the add for the one I know of (it was up for sale a few years back) - not exactly locost

quote:
JOHN CELLIER'S V8 QUADRA
One of only three V8 4x4 Rushes built.
SVA'd and registered March 2001 on "C" plate, Now on XXXXXX.
Colour - Oxford Blue
Engine: - Brand new "4.0" John Eales balanced short engine. Fast road cam, "Stage 3" top end etc etc. Running remapped "hotwire" EFI. Rolling Road readout showing 293bhp and 340 lb/ft @4700 rpm (then front wheels started
spinning and no one would stand on front of car).
Pulls strongly to 6000rpm so??

Gearbox: - MT75 Cosworth box rebuilt and upgraded by Ken Davis.
Exhausts: - Unique 1-3/4" dia polished stainless headers and carbon fibre silencers
Interior: - Full aluminum panelling and aluminium dash, black carpets to
floor only. Dax high back seats. White faced gauges, SPA digital speedo.
All new EBC discs with Greenstuff pads.
225/45 x 16" Dunlop SP9000's on 8-1/2" wide Revolutions.
Weather gear including Dax hood, boot cover, hood cover and unique homemade sidedoors.
Featured in Car and Car Conversions magazine 2002 Ultimate Track Day Car event

http://rushowners.se7ens.net/register/images/johncellier/exhside2.jpg
http://rushowners.se7ens.net/register/images/johncellier/display.jpg
http://rushowners.se7ens.net/register/images/johncellier/engine_bay_thumb.jpg

one question for you - whay do you want 4x4 ??

[Edited on 5/6/08 by mcerd1]

loggyboy - 5/6/08 at 11:19 AM

Doesnt the Indy R tick box 1 and 2?
Also the older audi 80/coupe quattro trans may tick box 3. (or the ultra rare BMW IX set up)

[Edited on 5/6/08 by loggyboy]

02GF74 - 5/6/08 at 11:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
one question for you - whay do you want 4x4 ??

so I;ll never get stuck on a tiny patch of mud?
no more reason than why anyone wants to fit a biek engine or two, some thing different I guess.

Agriv8 - 5/6/08 at 12:03 PM

I have 1,2 and 4 on my MNR.

regards

Agriv8

mcerd1 - 5/6/08 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
some thing different I guess.

I guess thats why most of us are here in the first place

as long as you know the sierra 4x4 bits will add nearly 150kg to the car (or so I've been told)

btw - dax mod the front driveshafts etc to suit (front diff sits infront of the engine in the dax), and then you need to make the V8 fit somehow ???
I think I saw a 4x4 locost once - But I could be wrong (2.9 V6 turbo ??) no idea how they made it fit

actually the ford / rover bits might not be the best starting point, but its possibly the nearest you'll get to an off the shelf chassis

[Edited on 5/6/08 by mcerd1]

iank - 5/6/08 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
The audi V8 4wd platform might work.....

Unfortunately I don't think would fit very well in a 7 as the engine is a long way forwards.

Think the V8 uses the same layout.

meany - 5/6/08 at 12:20 PM

checkout "liam" photo archive

Liam - 5/6/08 at 12:32 PM

Hellooo

If you allow a V6 then mine qualifies on all counts. Have a look in me photo archive. It's a honda V6 as the ford is a bit of a boat anchor. If you're interested i can give plenty of details of how dax do the 4WD and how my approach differs, plus some pictures of John's build (the awesome V8 quadra mentioned above).

Dunno where they get the 150kg from. Gearbox is about 15kg heavier than a 2WD, front prop about 10 and front diff and shafts about 25, so only about 50kg heavier. My build is on target for 650kg which isn't bad for any V6 CEC with all the lights, screen plus washers, seats etc etc.

My car is book dimensions but with 3" more in the engine bay and 3" less in the cabin (actually matches caterham proportions this way) and there's plenty of room in front of the V6. A compact V8 could have juuuust been squeezed in if i'd felt that way inclined.

Any more info/photos just let me know. 4wd is the only way to cruise

Liam

AndyGT - 5/6/08 at 01:36 PM

Renault 21 Turbo Quadra. A super rare beast, loads of torque but only 175bhp in standard spec!

britishtrident - 5/6/08 at 01:45 PM

V8 4wd Westies have been built.

The Rover V8 is big ancient engine that by V8 standards isn't that powerful, although it is lighter than most other engines over 2 litre it still isn't light particularly when you consider all extra gear a V8 requires.

Rover made much more suitable engines for a Sevenish car, if you must have a V8 stick in Cobra.

Simon - 6/6/08 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
...., if you must have a V8 stick in Cobra.

I must disagree

Rover V8 all the way

ATB

Simon