Board logo

Compression fittings
David Jenkins - 20/6/08 at 01:40 PM

This is just one of those "bored on a Friday afternoon" questions...

Would it be possible to make a leak-proof joint onto a length of 8mm copper microbore pipe such that it would be safe carrying petrol at a pressure of 5psi max?

My brain says that it should be fine as central heating systems run at a fair old pressure (e.g. mine runs at between 1 and 2 bar, so 15 - 30 psi approx.)

This is ignoring the issue of metal fatigue in the copper - that argument is progressing elsewhere.

I just have this nagging doubt...

[Edited on 20/6/08 by David Jenkins]

BenB - 20/6/08 at 01:48 PM

Is it possible? Yes.

Would SVA man like it? Probably not.

Is a leaking fuel pipe more significant than a leaking CH system? Depends what it drips on

mistergrumpy - 20/6/08 at 02:01 PM

Well I've got a 90 degree compression fitting on the outlet from my ally fuel tank leading on to a straight piece of 8mm ally pipe and its been fine no leaks. Not SVA'd it mind but if fuel hose can be held on by jubilee type clips or even them butterfly type things then it should be okay.

andyharding - 20/6/08 at 02:05 PM

Those fittings will take huge pressure and would be fine for both carb and injection fuel pressures. There is no reason at all that it should be a problem for SVA also.

David Jenkins - 20/6/08 at 02:16 PM

Fortunately I no longer have to worry about SVA...

Volvorsport - 20/6/08 at 04:57 PM

most bus and truck operate with compression fittings , and now with push fit also .

adam1985 - 20/6/08 at 05:50 PM

while doing some work on mine i managed to kink the fuel pipe so i just cut it out and soldered in a 10mm end feed coupler didnt use a compression as its a bec and didnt want any possible vibration working it loose you can use them on central heating and on oil fired (diesel) appliances in the house though so cant see no problem dont know what mr sva will say though

02GF74 - 21/6/08 at 11:14 PM

yep. 5 psi is notjing. put two zeroes on the nd and it becomes more interesting,