Board logo

Tooling up for the build - poll
paul the 6th - 31/7/08 at 06:24 PM

Well my last post about MK indy vs. haynes roadster seemed to ruffle a few feathers so lets see how we fair with this one.

I've just been shopping on the screwfix website bought alsorts of bits such as a rivet gun, some grinding discs to go with my grinder (only got cutting discs at the moment), some punches and lots of other bits and pieces (about a hundred quidsworth actually!)...

Yesterday I bought a load of spring & G clamps - and - a bench drill (£40! bargain) from LIDL.

Buying all these bits in preparation for starting the build has got me thinking - how did everyone else go about tooling up to build?

eznfrank - 31/7/08 at 06:28 PM

I was quite lucky as the start of my build coincided with me working for the same company for 10 years which meant I got £500 worth of vouchers. There was only a few places I could have them from but one of the places was Halfrauds, and cos I was spending quite a bit they gave me a trade card - BONUS

jollygreengiant - 31/7/08 at 06:31 PM

Was ( technically still am) motor mech by trade so tool already at home were very comprehensive. Any one who has seen my small tool box will know what I mean.

StevieB - 31/7/08 at 06:32 PM

I bought myself a decent socket set and a few sring clamps at the start, and the rest as I needed them. It's amazing how much stuff you end up with by the end of a build.

I figued it was worth buying all the tools rather than borrowing as I'll need them again for maintenance and/or future builds.

Rufforth autojumble (this saturday coming) is good for tools as well as materials and (bike) parts.

paul the 6th - 31/7/08 at 06:41 PM

ah yeah I'm ready and waiting for the jumble at rufforth - went for a ride on my bike through there the other day - is the autojumble at the "Rufforth Park" just outside of the village centre? Or is it somewhere in the centre down one of the side streets? I live less than 3 miles away and never knew it existed till last week!

StevieB - 31/7/08 at 06:50 PM

Probably Rufforth Park (never knew it was alled that). About half a mile out of the other side of the village coming from your direction.

Like I said before - you can't miss it as there'll be a queue of cars and bike sto get in there.

Sadly I won't be there his month as I'm off to see a man with a lathe to get some work done.

paul the 6th - 31/7/08 at 06:56 PM

aye it sounds like the one I saw just outside the village on the west side...

I'm quite excited - about to order my mig welder, I've already ordered 3 metres of 25x25x1.6 box section to have a practice making a work stool & tool rack before I take the plunge and buy the chassis pack in a few weeks. Gonna grab some bits of scrap from the jumble too

matt.c - 31/7/08 at 08:11 PM

Get one of these.

I wish i had got one as it will save you so much time in the long run.

StevieB - 31/7/08 at 08:25 PM

Ooh yeah, get one of them ^^^^^^^^

And don't do what I did and buy a dremel - the cheapo ones are just as good and, even if they break, you could replace it 4 or 5 times over for the price of a dremel.

PS - the B&Q out on Hull Road was doing compressors for £66 a pop. A mate bought one and it's good enough for general stuff

[Edited on 31/7/08 by StevieB]

MkIndy7 - 31/7/08 at 08:49 PM

I'd have said the exact opposite of the above... if you give them some stick the £10 ones last no time at all! we went through loads.

I and a fair few others on here would recomend the Black and Decker version for about £30 and it comes with some tools and a 2 maybe 3 year warrenty.

I'd also recomend a set of Halfords Ratchet spanners, very useful tools with the small accessory pieces as well.

Danozeman - 1/8/08 at 05:36 AM

I had alot of tools already as im a mechanic but iv bought a few tools for the build like a rivnut gun etc.