Board logo

Just an idol thought
jabs - 12/9/08 at 08:17 AM

Whilst on a boring drive home last night I got to wondering if you took a plastic pig (reliant 3 wheeler) and converted it to a 4 wheeler by building a front subframe what paperwork/ test (SVA?) would you need with the DVLA to change class on the V5.

I've seen a couple of 4 wheel Bond Bugs so what did these people do.

Just an idol thought as 35bhp won't thrill to much - lol

kendo - 12/9/08 at 08:21 AM

I take it you mean and "idle" thought

Paul TigerB6 - 12/9/08 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kendo
I take it you mean and "idle" thought

As we're correcting people today - its "an" idle thought!!

minitici - 12/9/08 at 08:26 AM

Trike builders get away with bolt on rear ends for converting motorcycles to trikes - so why not 3 wheelers to 4 wheeled by using your 'bolt-on' subframe approach? Just what is radically modified?
Of course you could just go and buy a Reliant Kitten or Fox

[Edited on 12/9/08 by minitici]

CraigJ - 12/9/08 at 08:26 AM

isnt there a 4 wheel version called the kitten or something, a guy on here has on with a tl1000 engine in it.

smart51 - 12/9/08 at 08:39 AM

If you keep enough unmodified parts then you don't need an SVA. Keep the Robin's chassis without mods and you might be OK. making a bolt on front end that doesn't need chassis mods would be quite interesting.

The good thing with Reliants is that you can unbolt the body and throw it away, leaving a running chassis for your new bodywork design, giving you a radiacally altered vehicle without SVA. There might be a few downsides to this plan but it would work.

Mr Whippy - 12/9/08 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
isnt there a 4 wheel version called the kitten or something, a guy on here has on with a tl1000 engine in it.

lol exactly, what would be the point of converting a 3 wheeler to a 4 when you can just buy one!?

thay actually look not to bad with 4 wheels

[Edited on 12/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

Macbeast - 12/9/08 at 09:57 AM

quote:

It's "it's an idle thought "

Maybe I should go and do something constructive

DarrenW - 12/9/08 at 10:01 AM

As others sa - easier to start with the Kitten.

Also - idol is acceptable in a headline kind of way if the car in question is indeed idolised by the poster.

jabs - 12/9/08 at 10:05 AM

Doh, I stand corrected I'll put on my dunces cap and stand in the corner for 5 minutes.

Paul TigerB6 - 12/9/08 at 10:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
quote:

My [ ' ] button doesn't work............ hang on - its working again......hoorah!!!

jabs - 12/9/08 at 10:18 AM

fox, kitten and rebel were the 4 wheelers but they are rare compared to the 3 wheelers

Paul TigerB6 - 12/9/08 at 10:21 AM

I prefer this conversion myself!!!!

POWWWWERRRRRR!!!!!

[Edited on 12/9/08 by Paul TigerB6]

Phil.J - 12/9/08 at 10:30 AM

I built a Reliant Kitten 'Special Saloon' back in the day when this was an allowed class in hillclimbing, and used a light weight three wheeler shell. They are the same as a Kitten shell down to the waistline.

indykid - 12/9/08 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
quote:

My [ ' ] button doesn't work............ hang on - its working again......hoorah!!!

it's obviously an intermittent problem then because you missed the apostrophe out of it's again!

tut sir, tut!
tom