Board logo

Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale?
coozer - 12/12/10 at 07:21 PM

Where the hell can I get some? Local beer shop haven't even heard of it!

Last pint I had was on draught in O'Neils, Kings Cross but I can't afford the train fare every time I want some...

Anyone know where, around the North East I can get some?

None in Tesco or Asda

I'll even take a keg of it and practice drinking myself to death....

JoelP - 12/12/10 at 07:28 PM

theres an offer on £8 return fares on the east coast mainline at the min, day tripping might not be a bad idea!

RazMan - 12/12/10 at 07:50 PM

According to this link it has been 'retired' so it looks like a long thirsty patch is coming

interestedparty - 12/12/10 at 07:57 PM

Proper Irishmen drink Guinness

Killer - 12/12/10 at 07:59 PM

Linky

Have you tried Caffreys? very similar and easier to source.

Cheers

Rich

RichardK - 12/12/10 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
According to this link it has been 'retired' so it looks like a long thirsty patch is coming

Think the Guiness factory has taken it over so maybe ok.

Cheers

R

Dangle_kt - 12/12/10 at 08:05 PM

its from diagio, and its still on there website.

bitsilly - 12/12/10 at 08:15 PM

As an irishman, I would say both Cafferys and Kilkenny are a weak copy of a drink called Smithwicks. You may be able to find that?
I would add, Smitwicks is nicer, but more importantly, does not give anything like the hangovers the other ones do. I would swear they have poison in 'em!

Peteff - 12/12/10 at 08:24 PM

They are pumped so full of nitrogen it's a wonder they don't give you the bends

T66 - 12/12/10 at 08:28 PM

Every Sunday night in Durty Nellys, Morpeth -

Used to drink my weight in Kilkenny , dance to the Irish band with my girlfriend.

Irish Milk !!

Then they stopped selling it, last time I drank it was in New York on my 40th - Milk !!

A gorgeous pint

RichardK - 12/12/10 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
As an irishman, I would say both Cafferys and Kilkenny are a weak copy of a drink called Smithwicks. You may be able to find that?
I would add, Smitwicks is nicer, but more importantly, does not give anything like the hangovers the other ones do. I would swear they have poison in 'em!

Only ever seen Smithwick's in O'neils, its part of the Diagio group too and apparently they don't export these irish beers due to the lack of interest.

Cheers

Rich

Benzo - 12/12/10 at 08:34 PM

smithwicks is a good pint, kilkenny is hard to get here in the North even.

Ill stick with the black stuff tho.. hard to beat

T66 - 12/12/10 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty

Well all the Irishmen I spoke with in -

http://preview.tinyurl.com/249m73c

Drank Bareknuckle stout - Guiness was expensive and for me didnt taste as good.

Or Heartland Brewery NY, lovely beers, eat food and watch the brewery at work, drink the 6 different ales with your meal and crawl home.

Kilkenny rocks

interestedparty - 12/12/10 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:

proper Irishmen live in Ireland. Cod Irishmen live in New York.

T66 - 12/12/10 at 09:53 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:

proper Irishmen live in Ireland. Cod Irishmen live in New York.

COD ? = Call of duty ?

Proper Irish get everywhere, and they dont all drink Guiness.

Ive drank lots with guys from the old RUC, and from what I recall of the sessions it wasnt all Guiness. - hic

interestedparty - 13/12/10 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by T66

COD ? = Call of duty ?

Ive drank lots with guys from the old RUC, and from what I recall of the sessions it wasnt all Guiness. - hic

Oh dear, oh dear.

Anyone who knew Irishmen would know that cod in Irish slang has a meaning similar to joke, or pretend. For instance, "you're codding me"". Have you never watched Father Ted?

RUC- Royal Ulster Constabulary? Northern Ireland isn't quite the same thing as Ireland.

mds167 - 13/12/10 at 01:18 PM

quote:
Northern Ireland isn't quite the same thing as Ireland.

Not sure some people from Eire/NI will agree with that! I seem to remember it causing some argument or other...

T66 - 13/12/10 at 03:17 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by T66

COD ? = Call of duty ?

Oh dear, oh dear.

Anyone who knew Irishmen would know that cod in Irish slang has a meaning similar to joke, or pretend. For instance, "you're codding me"". Have you never watched Father Ted?

RUC- Royal Ulster Constabulary? Northern Ireland isn't quite the same thing as Ireland.

Lol - Bit like saying everyone born in London should know cockney ryhming slang ??

Which of course we all know they do , dont we !

As for the RUC , well most of them were Irish and sounded Irish, so I guess they were Irish, and no they didnt all drink Guiness. And I spent a lot of time with them, but never heard that term, but there you go....You seem to think they are not Irish, there are quite a few might disagree.

And the only cod words I know are - cod = fish, cod = call of duty ,or cod heed = Geordie slang for a codheed

So then Kilkenny still rocks ......

interestedparty - 13/12/10 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mds167
quote:
Northern Ireland isn't quite the same thing as Ireland.

Not sure some people from Eire/NI will agree with that! I seem to remember it causing some argument or other...

That is exactly what I was getting at! If Northern Ireland was the same thing as Ireland then there wouldn't have been an argument.