Board logo

Ebay Advice
Jon Ison - 9/9/05 at 05:30 PM

cut a long story short.

Mrs bought a saddle off ebay
Sent cheque, its been cashed as while now.

Sent 4 e~mails and a written letter by post

Not a sniff of a reply.

Its a private seller not a company.

Whats to do next? Value £61 including £10 postage.

I have address and will pass by at some time whilst working, should I knock on the door ?

quattromike - 9/9/05 at 05:33 PM

If you can go round by Iwould chap on the door and say HOI , where's my stuff? or where's my money??

Liam - 9/9/05 at 05:37 PM

Would the cheque have properly properly cleared yet? they may be waiting for that. Chances are it's a genuine reason so dont be getting too aggressive! They have given you their address after all. How long has it been since you paid anyway? Try and contact them before getting ebay on the case - do you have a phone number? If not you can usually get it by clicking 'request sellers contact information'. If that dont work then by all means pop round saying you were in the neighbourhood and wonder if you can collect the saddle. If that all fails then get ebay on the case and maybe even inform them you're going to proceed with a small claims court claim.

Hope that helps. Moral: dont ride horses

Liam

Liam - 9/9/05 at 05:38 PM

A didn't read youd sent a letter too! Must have been a while! I'd go round with some homies and baseball bats.

Liam

Jon Ison - 9/9/05 at 05:45 PM

gonna try that phone number thingy, dont want leave bad feedback ect just want it sorted, but there as been zero reply,

summat like "sorry been away a while"
or "sorry did'nt realise cheque had cleared" or even "thanks for the payement will send as soon as cleared"

But we have heard nothing........

as for riding horses, if i had been on a horse last friday i would'nt have need a trailor too get out of a field....

Russ-Turner - 9/9/05 at 05:46 PM

I know someone who will pull his fingernails out one by one for fifty quid.

Hellfire - 9/9/05 at 05:49 PM

Jon - before you do anything else - go through Ebay procedure. Have you posted feedback - if not threaten that you will unless you here from them. Are emails being returned? If not they are at least getting them (though not necessarily reading them - PC may be bust!) following that did you pay for secure delivery (signed for or recorded) then, register with Ebay a failure to deliver note. If nothing is done then, is your paypal account secured with a credit card. if so notify your Card issuer of failure to deliver. They will issue your refund and they will reclaim from ebay/paypal... it's there problem. Good luck - let us know the outcome!

dave1888 - 9/9/05 at 05:59 PM

How long has it been since the cheque cleared.

stevebubs - 9/9/05 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Jon - before you do anything else - go through Ebay procedure. Have you posted feedback - if not threaten that you will unless you here from them. Are emails being returned? If not they are at least getting them (though not necessarily reading them - PC may be bust!) following that did you pay for secure delivery (signed for or recorded) then, register with Ebay a failure to deliver note. If nothing is done then, is your paypal account secured with a credit card. if so notify your Card issuer of failure to deliver. They will issue your refund and they will reclaim from ebay/paypal... it's there problem. Good luck - let us know the outcome!

Paypal not involved as a cheque was sent...ebay will simply send a pop-up then cancel their account.

Try this, then I think it's time to move onto small claims court. May also be worth notifying the police as it may be fraud.

[Edited on 9/9/05 by stevebubs]

Jon Ison - 9/9/05 at 06:16 PM

28th August, but a simple reply would be nice if there is a problem/delay ?

I know they show on statements before funds are released its just the zero communication that worries us.

[Edited on 9/9/05 by Jon Ison]

VinceGledhill - 9/9/05 at 06:28 PM

What's their feedback like? How many feedbacks have they had?

Can you give us a link to the item you won?

RichardK - 9/9/05 at 06:54 PM

Oh dear, no recorded or courier and no postal insurance offered, seller will say they posted it, looks like the person who bought the paddling pool megan691l51n is having the same problem, maybe get together with that buyer to spread the cost of the small claim court costs.

Best of luck

Rich

[Edited on 9/9/05 by RichardK]

paul v6 - 9/9/05 at 07:21 PM

Dont start me on Ebay

Recieved second chance offer to buy a donor vehicle as top bidder pulled out, struck up good rappor with seller via emails regarding delivery, etc. Paid £501 via Western Union only to find the money taken, the quad sold to the original high bidder and the fraudulent seller dissapeared of the face of the earth!!??

This was only yesterday

Paul

fesycresy - 9/9/05 at 07:23 PM

If all else fails, you've taken everybodies advice and still no answer then there only one thing to do.

If he lives within say 80 miles, go around his house and stove his face in. OK you've lost £71 but it will be good for the soul. Trust me.

smart51 - 9/9/05 at 08:14 PM

I bought an engine of eBay. When it arrived it had the engine number drilled off. A'd sent an email to the guy asking this specifically before bidding. After several emails he wouldn't do anything about it so I went through the eBay procedure. It was slow but eventually I got compensation. eBay will pay for the value of the goods - £15 upto a maximum of £120 - £15 if they think that you've been "wronged"

steve_gus - 9/9/05 at 09:34 PM

a couple of years in jail for aggrivated GBH is pretty expensive for a 70 quid ebay purchase.

And not a very measured response. The law would throw the book

The police would know who you were from the ebay purchase too!!!!

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
If all else fails, you've taken everybodies advice and still no answer then there only one thing to do.

If he lives within say 80 miles, go around his house and stove his face in. OK you've lost £71 but it will be good for the soul. Trust me.

Hellfire - 9/9/05 at 09:40 PM

Jon - there is an easier way to deal with this and it doesn't require a lawyer. On a slightly different matter but here goes:

Send them an email or letter stating that you will create an internet website with all of the person's particular's including name, address telephone numbers and a whole host of personal details unless they comply. It's far less risky than taking the law into your own hands.

My company bought me a Citroen C5 some years ago as a company car - it was such a pile of sh!te I jumped through every hoop and balanced on every plank to get knowhere. When I wrote a website publicising every single detail of the problems I had, Citroen threaten to take me to court - for using their logo - I changed the logo, they then asked me formerly to remove the website - the cost to them... ALL of my money back!

Publicity works.... and if you need help I'm offering my services FOC to you. Drop them an email stating your intentions before you do though!

ned - 9/9/05 at 09:58 PM

just a small tip re posting of items that aren't recorded. i always get a proof of posting (its free) if i send anything unrecorded to cover my back. it may be worth asking if they got this, otherwise you/they have no way of prooving they've actually sent anything (if this turns out to be part of the dispute)

Ned.

Hellfire - 9/9/05 at 10:01 PM

Take things to the extreme he has to prove he posted it... the Postmaster at the Post Office should remember a Saddle FFS - would he/she be prepared to swear on it? Not for £70'ish!

pbura - 10/9/05 at 01:58 AM

Phone calls are always good. I've used them a few times. The latest was a company that, while going bankrupt, accepted a return of bad merchandise and sent replacement by overnight delivery!

Tell the tw*t that you'll be around to pick up the saddle tomorrow If he claims that he's sent it, too bad for him because he has the burden of proof. You'll win in small claims or eBay mediation.

Hellfire - 10/9/05 at 09:43 AM

I'd go round, knock on his door, tell him I happened to be passing by and politely ask him for the saddle or money back.

Phil

steve_gus - 10/9/05 at 10:55 AM

small claims court is a good way to go. It costs less than a hundred quid to get your claim in - which you get back if you win. You only have to prove 51% fault on his side - so the fact you say you dont have it, and he doesnt reply, is pretty much more than 51% proof in my book.

Be sure to let him know that a loss in a small claims court will go against his credit record and shag it for years to come.

atb

steve

mangogrooveworkshop - 10/9/05 at 05:01 PM

Question from mariaj_8221
---------------------------------------
My daughter has just got out of hospital agin last night.Will post it today.Thats why I havent replied to any mail

Jon Ison - 10/9/05 at 05:18 PM

That worries me ??? How can you read messages that arn't sent too you ??

We got that message earlier today, please tell me how without using information "nicked" from my Mrs' account you read that message.

[Edited on 10/9/05 by Jon Ison]

pbura - 10/9/05 at 09:33 PM

żżżMango's in league with the saddle-seller???

Avoneer - 10/9/05 at 10:05 PM

Hi Jon,

I think do the phone thing politely and if that fails, try the door thing politely.

If that fails, I like Hellfire's idea.

Pat...

Rorty - 11/9/05 at 07:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Question from mariaj_8221
---------------------------------------
My daughter has just got out of hospital agin last night.Will post it today.Thats why I havent replied to any mail

Seriously, how can you do that? If I were Jon, I'd be pretty pissed off at that trick!

steve_gus - 11/9/05 at 09:02 AM

at a guess:

Jon did originally post a link to the item, which showed what account it was.

Perhaps it was listed in the questions and answers bit?

Or Jons mrs has an obvious password that can be guessed.

OR - by the lack of a response from Mango, something more sinister....... ?

atb

steve

[Edited on 13/9/05 by steve_gus]

Jon Ison - 13/9/05 at 07:50 PM

Just too update people.............

As you all know we recieved a long awaited reply saturday saying it was on its way............

Well its not made it here yet..........

you know the best bit ??? Iv'e got a nice easy job at "Haribo" friday, less than 1 mile away from the seller....... how lucky is that ?

Rorty, i'm with you 100% on yr comments above, there's some things you dont do.