Board logo

LCD, Plasma or CTR TV
donut - 8/8/06 at 03:21 PM

Looking to buy a flat screen TV for the lounge but not sure what to go for. I have a Phillips flat (ish) screen with actual veiwing dimension of 27". I'm looking at 38" as it keeps the price down a bit more than 40".

I'm not sure if LCD screens are good enough yet and if it would be best to go for a Plasma. I think i would prefer an LCD jobby but would like to know what people think who have actually got these TV's.

When i look in TV departments they all have different quality pictures and some are amazing. Is this the way to choose or are those TV's not all tuned in correctly? What is the best way to choose as there are so many to choose from.

Thanks

[Edited on 8/8/06 by donut]

ned - 8/8/06 at 03:28 PM

in showrooms they often run the tv's off splitter boxes and the signals/tuning are generally cr*p unless its a proper hifi shop with a purpose built demo room.

ctr - do you mean crt?

under 42"is normally lcd territory, 42" and over is generally plasma. there are exceptions to this of course. you defo want an hd set, no point not having one even though its not broadcast yet (apart from on sky which is horrendously expensive) and imho its worth getting one with a built in digital tuner and if you can get a model with more than one hdmi, they will replace scarts eventually.

I have a 32" lcd, you're welcome to see it if you're down my way.

Ned.

[Edited on 8/8/06 by ned]

Stuart Ainslie - 8/8/06 at 03:40 PM

Speak to the guys at Kent Home Cinema or log on to AVForums

Evertyone will have their own opinion on which is better.
FWIW, I bought a 42" plasma nearly 2 years ago and it still looks brilliant

wyatt - 8/8/06 at 03:44 PM

Remembered the bigger the screen the further you have to sit away from it to appreciate the quality I have a 32” LCD Sony and it is just the right size for the room and the picture quality is great my brother decided after not listening to my advice went for a 40” Plasma in a room a bit smaller than mine and he doesn’t like the quality of the picture because he is to close to the screen

The other thing is that the screens LCD and Plasma are all made by about 3 or 4 companies so it doesn’t matter what the badge says on the front.

donut - 8/8/06 at 04:15 PM

Ned: Yeah sorry i meant CRT, bit old hat now i guess!

So are they much of a muchness or is there a difference in pic quality when you got to the higher level 32" machines? I think 32" is about right for my room.

ned - 8/8/06 at 04:41 PM

the technology is improving all the time but last time i was looking lcd was meant to look crisper but slightly less fluid with moving images compared to plasma but that might have improved. having had a 32"lcd since january i don't notice anymore as I've gotten used to it!

i'm guessing you'd only notice any difference initially or if comparing side by side with another model or type of tv.

all imvho

Ned.

zenarcher - 8/8/06 at 04:42 PM

I just recently bought a Toshiba 32WLT66, for the World Cup,this is just right for the size of the room. Too close and the picture pixalates?

PQ is very good on programmes like Lost and Trawlermen.

tony9876 - 8/8/06 at 05:23 PM

I have 2 rear projection LCD tv's and they are top quality(better than plasma).
In my opinion though you cant beat LCD but the biggest at the moment seems to be 42".

donut - 8/8/06 at 05:32 PM

Judging by the distance of the TV from the seating area i think 32" is as big as i need.

When in Alders i found that Panasonic, Philips and Samsung to be the best quality images. The Panasonic was probably the best out the 3, it was truly awesome.

Peteff - 8/8/06 at 05:32 PM

Bravia, about £2500 if you want to go that expensive. Toshiba do a 47" but size isn't everything .

[Edited on 8/8/06 by Peteff]

donut - 8/8/06 at 05:54 PM

To be honest i think Sony have lost the plot a bit. The new ads with Vicky Butler 'lick me all over' Henderson (yummy)remind me of those tacky ads you used to get in Cinemas back in the 70's!!

skydivepaul - 8/8/06 at 06:24 PM

you wont go far wrong with a panasonic viera 37" or 42" plasma. I've got a 42 plasma and the picture is excellent. The overall casing of the panasonic isnt much bigger than the screen so it looks great too. and it also comes with a nice curvy stand.

TBH.
Samsung or LG have great plasma's. LG make most of the panels for other companies and they invented hi def technology for plasma and LCD TV's

avoid philips, toshiba and some of the really cheapo ones.

snapper - 8/8/06 at 06:53 PM

I am on the edge of the trade, film then Audio Visual now back to photography.
While i like the plasma look, i don't like the repair bills and the fact that if there is a screen problem it is usually terminal, therfore i am looking at LCD as the screens are as easy to change as any other bit and they should last longer than the 1500 hours for a plasma ( might have missed a 0 out, i will check).

Very good point about the viewing distance, pace out the distance from where you sit at home to where the TV will be, then do the same in Dixons et al, you will soon get the feel of size over viewing distance.
Plasma and LCD have pixels usually not more than 1 million unless you get a 30 inch Mac monitor which is closer to 5 million and it all gets more complicated when we start talking about Componant, composit and tv systems like Pal, ntsc secam etc.

Go have a look in the shops and pick the one that looks good.

spunky - 8/8/06 at 07:17 PM

None of the above...

I have a 2.8m projection screen, that rolls away behind a beam across the living room.
using a very average Toshiba projector and driven by my PC.

The screen can be resized to whatever you like and its HDTV ready.

OK, not very practical for flicking on emmerdale, but then I seldom watch TV but I do like films.

John

donut - 8/8/06 at 07:35 PM

quote:

Go have a look in the shops and pick the one that looks good.

That sounds like a plan!!!

joneh - 8/8/06 at 08:29 PM

Excellent - this is a side line of mine as I sell them!

If you're after a 32" forget Plasma as they don't do 32's anymore. ( if you find one it'll be an old screen rebadged) Plasma's are far better far Contrast, Response time than LCD on the larger screens and they also have a more natrual picture. ( not bright)

CRT is old hat and just not "cool"

LCD is the way for anything below 37".

You only really have a few brands who make the screens. The main ones are:

Hitachi / fujitsu siemens

Samsung

Philips / LG

Panasonic

Everyone else uses one of these screens.

I pesonaly would recomend the Philips 32PF7521D, the new Toshiba's, new panasonics and the Samsungs. Sony use samsung screens and I believe you are paying more for the name. (although the picture processing IC is excellent, and they have a 179 degree viewing angle!!!!)

Sony as having a commercial disagreement with DSGI (currys) at the moment, so onsite service would be done through master care, or most people refer to them as disaster care. (avoid)

To make things more confusing Hitachi make the screens for Philips Cineos range which is the DB's!

If I were to buy an LCD for me I would get the 32PF7521D, or If I could afford it, one of the Cineos range. I would also get some excellent cables ( they make a huge difference on LCDs. The TV uses the latest generation LCD panel and most stores have a great price on this TV at the moment.

Here's a tip: Currys will match their website. If its the same price compare the big stores and then get the most expensive store to price match the cheapest. You also get 10% of the difference back, if its Comet or Currys doing the matching.

Internet: A lot of the companys buy european / Asian stock which toshiba / Phillips etc UK WILL NOT repair. If you buy online make sure you buy from a large electrical retailer, pref local so you can shout at someone if it all goes tits up.

Extended warranties are worth it only at time of purchase. Don't bother after the years run out, as now most stores use D&G and depending on how old it is you only get a % back of what its worth. Comets warranty will give you back the full price paid, even if it goes wrong in 4 years. Currys will give you enough money back to buy an equivalant spec. After 4 years the price will have dropped loads and you wont get the full amount back.

Hope this helps!

donut - 8/8/06 at 09:36 PM

joneh

Most helpful, thanks very much.