Board logo

F1 CAR ONLY JUST THRASHES M5
skydivepaul - 16/8/06 at 09:23 PM

todays news follow the linky

linky

Would they allow that sort of driving on the M1???????

Sacal - 16/8/06 at 09:34 PM

If he put his foot down he would have beat the time easily! Kept slowing down for the cameras seemed that way to me, unless he had 100 gears he did seem to be changing up on the straight all the time! Its cool when they let F1 cars on the street, but does always turn into just a media stunt for the cameras

MikeRJ - 16/8/06 at 10:05 PM

Either the F1 driver was arsing around (why would you need to be continuously changing gears on a dead straight 20 mile long road with no traffic?) or the producers overlaid different bits of sound track onto the film to make it more interesting for the average non-anorak wearer

phelpsa - 16/8/06 at 10:41 PM

I couldn't hear any gearchanging on the straights!

SixedUp - 16/8/06 at 11:01 PM

Doesn't make sense. Assuming they can set the F1 car up to suit the conditions, then they can just run it with low downforce and high gearing ... at which point it ought to blow the doors off the M5. After all, it's lighter, more powerful, and has better aerodynamics...
Cheers
Richard

greggors84 - 16/8/06 at 11:13 PM

Load of rubbish really, Honda gained a top speed of around 240mph with their car, so if Red Bull had really wanted to they could of easily gone quicker.

Anyway, how do you only just thrash a car? Surely thrashing means beating by a lot! So he only just beat it by alot. Sorry being pedantic!

muzchap - 16/8/06 at 11:28 PM

Thats why he's a TEST driver! He sucks!

Give me an F1 car and I'll race any fekker in an M5 - even some smacked up, looned out pikeys armed with shotguns!

ALSO - a picture (or video) tells a thousand words - where is this miraculous M5? Why isn't it side by side, pipping the F1 car at the post? Because! It's emperor's clothes! It doesn't exist

greggors84 - 16/8/06 at 11:38 PM

Apparently the M5 was the previous record holder, it wasnt done side by side.

Simon - 17/8/06 at 12:04 AM

What utter tosh. Reasonably quick car the M5 maybe, but it's by no means fast.

Knowing that the German Health and safety brigade is worse than ours (bikes restricted to 100 bhp!!!! and cars to 155 mph), I think it's a con.

The bm does 100 in about 10 secs, the F1 car probably 6, the bm will probably take another 20 - 30 secs to get to 155, whereas F1 will be at it's top (say 200+) in the same 10 secs.

The bm won't go round corners, or slow at anywhere near the F1 rates.

If it really is the case, then I'll look forward to seeing an M5 on the starting grid at the next GP.

What utter utter utter cobblers!

ATB

Simon

erwe - 17/8/06 at 05:12 AM

It was about 30 km from where I live and I know the road which isn't that good... (very bumby) Shame they kept it secret because it was organised by an organisation for sick children to give them the time of their lives. So nothing to do with speed records.

About the german restrisctions: at least you are allowed to drive at these speeds legally. What about a 200 mph car if you only can drive at max 80 mph??

dl_peabody - 17/8/06 at 05:26 AM

Souped up m5 or a stock M5? What year M5?

A competing F1 or some F1 wannabe, an almost qualified F1?

What were the restrictions imposed on both drivers?

Maybe "if you break it you buy it"...that would keep the speeds down, especially on the F1.

marcyboy - 17/8/06 at 05:28 AM

the revs are too low he was just going half speed

t.j. - 17/8/06 at 06:34 AM

http://www.zoomin.tv/videoplayer/?fuseaction=videolaunch&pid=nu&id=224541&nbg=ftv&linktype=web

Rob Palin - 17/8/06 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
The bm does 100 in about 10 secs, the F1 car probably 6, the bm will probably take another 20 - 30 secs to get to 155, whereas F1 will be at it's top (say 200+) in the same 10 secs.

This isn't true. It's not supposed to be too difficult to de-restrict the German cars and then the M5 can run on to 205mph.

The M5 also has less than half the drag of an F1 car in low-medium downforce configuration but has about 65-70% of the power. It will get to 200mph pretty quickly too, and possibly even faster than the F1. Ever see the statistic of a McLaren F1 road car accelerating quicker than the F1 racer above 150mph? It's because F1 cars have huge drag from their exposed wheels and downforce-generating devices. Even in low-downforce configuration their drag coefficient is barely lower than 0.8, which is about the same as an average truck. It's the price they pay for being able to generate up to 1800kg of downforce!

Johnmor - 17/8/06 at 09:01 AM

Its down to the gearbox and downforce.

The new Ferrari can achieve 215 mph, if set up for correct track, and that a'int on a 2O mile straight.

Its bollcoks, 900bhp with 500kgs is gona kick ass big time.

cloudy - 17/8/06 at 12:26 PM

the aerial shots clearly show it pottering along at what can't be more than 70

James

Liam - 17/8/06 at 12:43 PM

Two cars with probably very similar top speeds, and some of you are surprised, and shouting bo**ocks when they finished close after a 20 odd mile straight?? It weren't a drag race! The acelleration and handling of the F1 car would be irrelevant. Looks like Red Bull did just enough to break the record and get some publicity (and for a good cause too).

Liam

02GF74 - 17/8/06 at 02:57 PM

how many times did they have to refuel?

it's probalby not tosh; if you read it carefully: "The speed trial's previous record was 201mph, which was set by an M5 -- yet Doornbos managed only to drive 0.4mph faster over the length of the run."

it implies the top speed was faster; no mention of time to do the run.

[Edited on 17/8/06 by 02GF74]

t.j. - 17/8/06 at 03:12 PM

he drove 326 km/h.

I don't think he was even trying to crack the record.

He was sight-seeing not trying to set a new record

welderman - 17/8/06 at 03:13 PM

Whilst on the subject of M5's, what are your opinions on them. Thinking of getting a second hand one. Anything to look out for.(2000-2001 reg)

greggors84 - 17/8/06 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by welderman
Anything to look out for.(2000-2001 reg)

F1 cars in your rear view mirror!

welderman - 18/8/06 at 07:09 AM

Promable have plod all the the time more like it

02GF74 - 18/8/06 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Whilst on the subject of M5's, what are your opinions on them. Thinking of getting a second hand one. Anything to look out for.(2000-2001 reg)

look out for one that have been thrashed over dykes on Holland

Simon - 18/8/06 at 08:29 PM

quote:

Prices on anything that breaks. When I owned a bmw K100 about 16 years ago, my local dealer wanted over £400 to supply/fit a pair of shocks for a 3 series!

£400!!!!!!!!!!

Your gonna be looking at cars 5 - 6 years old, with anything from 60k miles to three times that. For the future, add in how long your gonna keep and expected mileage, then ask yourself if, in about 3 years time, you'd be willing to spend any money buying a ten year old M5 with a service history that may have started getting sketchy by then. What o you reckon it'll be worth.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 18/8/06 by Simon]

marcyboy - 19/8/06 at 05:19 PM

quote:

they're a very good car but can snap out on the limit...
a mate of mine had a 51 plate... a real motor bike eater...but very juicy
but then it is a 5 litre V8 pushing out 400 bhp so it's allowed to be thirsty loads of fun...i always gave it large when ever i borrowed it

not too many problems considering how much punishment it got with track days and such like, brakes were shot and gearbox went and if i remember correctly BMW will only replace a new box and not strip to repair it and there was a glitch with software too where the windows stayed jammed down in the pouring rain ...lol
but on the plus side servicing was cheap considering the type of vehicle it was but tyres are pricey and you would hate the consumption figures
i havn't driven one but i would be more tempted to get a 02 M3 or a CSL i've been a passenger in both and they hold the road like they're on rails especially around goodwood circuit