Board logo

Sat Nav (Locost of course)
NigeEss - 20/2/08 at 10:28 PM

How good are the entry level LG and Route66 ones in Halfrauds ? Or should I pay the extra
for a Tommy or Navvy ?

tom windmill - 20/2/08 at 10:42 PM

I would steer well clear of the Navman's, LG's, Route 66 and funnily enough the Sony's.

We seem to get more of these back than any other however the people that own these tend to rate them quite well but from experience i think they're crap.

I would try and stick to a TomTom One V3 or a Garmin Nuivi 200 it will be well worth the £20 extra that you will pay and you wont go far wrong.

We had some good deals on over christmas to compete with Currys / Comet etc but all seem to have gone up £20 now!

(all written in own opinion of course)

Hope that helps you a bit.

Cheers Tom

viatron - 20/2/08 at 10:52 PM

Had a TomTom One which i have just replaced with the Nuvi 200 as the maps seem to be much more up to date, both work well but as i said the Garmin seems more current.

bobs bangers - 20/2/08 at 11:02 PM

The best locost solution is a map £3.99

The best aftermarket nav I have used is smartnav. Its also fantastic for the elderly/technophobe etc because you get to speak to an operator who calculates the route for you and redownloads it back yo your system. You also get trafficmaster as well.

The motor trade now values cars like 5 series bmw,jag stype and many mercedes as worth £2000 less without nav !!

caber - 20/2/08 at 11:09 PM

Buy a cheap Palm Pilot or Treo phone get a cheap wired or Bluetooth sat nav unit ebay for not a lot depending on the model of palm or treo get tomtom, you can buy and download with what maps you want. The best system for real cheap all very small and works in whatever car you happen to be driving! Also the maps are brouseable and searchable so no more carrying a to zs around!

Caber

zetec - 20/2/08 at 11:20 PM

TomTom One is great value, well worth the price.

The Great Fandango - 21/2/08 at 12:29 AM

I made the mistake of buying a Route 66 back in January 2007.

Not the best move I ever made. The thing kept freezing, crashing, and forgetting waypoints etc.

Bought a Tom Tom Go! Have never looked back since.

ragindave - 21/2/08 at 12:34 AM

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131342

Try this one touch screen top banana for your money! £59.99
Runs tom tom software to!

ragindave - 21/2/08 at 12:37 AM

I would like to add my Tom Tom map upgrade will cost me as much as this and this has the up to date mapping or is available free!

Benzine - 21/2/08 at 08:21 AM

Sat nav systems are for people who can't face reality

DarrenW - 21/2/08 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tom windmill
I would steer well clear of the Navman's, LG's, Route 66 and funnily enough the Sony's.

We seem to get more of these back than any other however the people that own these tend to rate them quite well but from experience i think they're crap.

I would try and stick to a TomTom One V3 or a Garmin Nuivi 200 it will be well worth the £20 extra that you will pay and you wont go far wrong.

We had some good deals on over christmas to compete with Currys / Comet etc but all seem to have gone up £20 now!

(all written in own opinion of course)

Hope that helps you a bit.

Cheers Tom

Exactly what my Darlington branch told me. I bought TomTom 1 and never regretted it.

Some roads have changed since so i really should get an upgraded map but this isnt a fault of the unit itself.

I love speed :-P - 21/2/08 at 11:15 AM

We have a PDA with GPS built in running TomTom navigator 6 and GPSDash2 which you can load Google earth images onto or scanned OS maps etc. The maps for TomTom are available out there for free if you look hard enough.

But out all the systems I have tired I always go back to TomTom.

owelly - 21/2/08 at 11:25 AM

I have a Tom Tom One XL it's a good thing. I havn't tried any others but when Miss Owelly went to buy me a Satnav, Currys, Comet, Dixons and Halfrauds all told her the same story. Tom Tom is the best. She opted for the XL because I have trouble seeing past the bonnet of the car so the wider screen is a godsend.....

BenB - 21/2/08 at 12:30 PM

I've got a Tomtom one XL as well

Very nice bit of kit too...

Occasionally the speed limits are out of wack- for some reason it has most of the A12 as 50mph when it's clearly signposted 70.....

NigeEss - 21/2/08 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bobs bangers

The best locost solution is a map £3.99

For a general route yes, but for street detail it's an A-Z (or similar) for each town.
Not so cheap then.

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Sat nav systems are for people who can't face reality

What, the reality of several A-Zs littering the car and flicking through pages as you drive ???
Yeah, right.

Benzine - 21/2/08 at 03:19 PM

Multimap + biro + back of hand = manly
GPS = girly