Board logo

road legal quad bikes
eccsmk - 5/5/08 at 09:08 PM

anyone baught one???
my brother has been looking at these
LINKY LINK

[Edited on 5/5/08 by eccsmk]

skodaman - 5/5/08 at 09:21 PM

Made in China presumeably so the build quality will be dreadful if not actually dangerous. They can't even copy a proven reliable Japanese design without messing it up. Personally I'd think twice about even sitting on one.

eccsmk - 5/5/08 at 09:29 PM

thats what i was thinking but he is i tight g1t
i prefer the 450cc yam mmmm nice

Mr Whippy - 5/5/08 at 09:33 PM

I got slagged off for buying a honda when I could have bought a new Chinese bike for the price I paid for my second hand one and TBH at the time felt a bit thick that was till I had a shot of one within 10 seconds I’d ripped the rear brake mechanism off just pressing on it, the gear shift was a joke as it said I was in 2nd when infact I was in neutral! Indeed everything about the bike was like a 50p spanner you get at a stall. Later I meet a guy whose back axle had sheared, fortunately when he was stationary.

As they say you get nothing for nothing (wasn’t that a rock song?)

eccsmk - 5/5/08 at 09:35 PM

any ideas folks where to look foe a decent quad??
must be road legal tho as my bro wants it for work
(yeas hes a tight fisted farmer)

why did i watch this youtube link
now i want one

[Edited on 5/5/08 by eccsmk]

Peteff - 5/5/08 at 10:10 PM

Why do people on road legal quads all drive like knobs. All the ones on them round here are drug dealers.

stevec - 5/5/08 at 10:24 PM

The Chinese ones are really poor quality. I know I had one for a while.For good advise have a look HERE

Steve,

[Edited on 5/5/08 by stevec]

Alan B - 5/5/08 at 10:38 PM

Where did the terminology "quad bike" come from?

Makes no sense at all......like saying it's a "fourwheeled two wheeler"....

Alan

dogwood - 6/5/08 at 07:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Where did the terminology "quad bike" come from?

Makes no sense at all......like saying it's a "fourwheeled two wheeler"....

Coz it's easier than saying
"Quadricycle"

Check out insurance B4 you buy. It can be horribly expensive....
I aggree with it being better to buy a secondhand Jap or Yank than the chinese c**p.
David

[Edited on 6/5/08 by dogwood]

Ivan - 6/5/08 at 07:52 AM

I'm surprised that they can be road legal without wheel arches. Does that mean you don't need wheel arches to register a Locost?

iank - 6/5/08 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I'm surprised that they can be road legal without wheel arches. Does that mean you don't need wheel arches to register a Locost?

Not unless it's a quadricycle test (i.e. super lightweight and low powered engine)

Guinness - 6/5/08 at 05:55 PM

I don't know, but I just saw a bloke on a quad heading south on the A1(M), no helmet, just shades. I was driving home (Northbound).

Funny thing was there had been an accident about 1 mile further south which the plod and trafofficers had just finished dealing with.

Would love to have seen the look on their faces as he rode by!

Mike

I love speed :-P - 6/5/08 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I don't know, but I just saw a bloke on a quad heading south on the A1(M), no helmet, just shades. I was driving home (Northbound).

Now according to this http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q355.htm you dont need a helmet but according to this you do http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7198915.stm