Board logo

MX6/Probe V6 and RWD gearbox
ss1turbo - 30/1/09 at 08:35 PM

I've heard that the MX6/Ford Probe engine mounts stright up to an MX5 gearbox - is this true? Anyone got a pic of one?

blakep82 - 30/1/09 at 08:39 PM

clairetoo will know i think

zilspeed - 30/1/09 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
I've heard that the MX6/Ford Probe engine mounts stright up to an MX5 gearbox - is this true? Anyone got a pic of one?

I think Clairetoo is your woman for this question.

liam.mccaffrey - 30/1/09 at 08:49 PM

she told me the following when I asked her about it

Quote Claire:
It was'nt as straightforward as I thought it was going to be when I started the job..... the V6 fits to the Mx5 box , but doesn't bolt to it - I finished up making an adapter plate and then an ally flywheel(to move the clutch back by the thickness of the plate) . I allso had to mod the gearbox to fit the starter motor .

ss1turbo - 30/1/09 at 09:07 PM

Not a bolt on job, then...somehow it had got into my head the two bolted together somehow!

I was thinking of an alternative to the Mondeo V6/Jag S type manual gearbox combo given the rarity of the Jag box..

An other V6 combos that are a bit easier to get hold of?

clairetoo - 30/1/09 at 09:13 PM

Hi - just back from a quick spin
The Ford Probe/Mx6/626 is a nice engine - and well worth the effort involved in fitting it !
It can be done just with an adapter plate and a spacer behind the flywheel , I had to make a special flywheel for mine as I didnt have space in the Fury to move the starter back even a few mm
I am just making a couple of adapter plates and a flywheel spacer , and Mx5 box's can be had for as little as £40 (so cutting a bit out for the starter is not such a bad thing )

grazzledazzle - 30/1/09 at 10:03 PM

Well my st200 mondeo v6 goes onto a cosworth t5 with a custom adapter plate. You can buy an off the shelf bell housing to do it now too.

coozer - 31/1/09 at 12:01 PM

The Aston Martin V12 is basically two Ford V6's so will the Aston box bolt straight on?

Same box to be found in the Vauxhall Monaro if you find one...

locost_bryan - 5/2/09 at 02:07 AM

Another KL V6 to Miata conversion here.

Other V6 options?

Vauxhall 2.5 to Carlton 5-speed
Alfa 2.5/3.0 to 75 (?) 5-speed
Mitsubishi FTO 2.0 to Starion 5-speed

iirc Monaro uses Tremec 6-speed, same as Corvette and Aston Martin

stevebubs - 5/2/09 at 02:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
The Aston Martin V12 is basically two Ford V6's so will the Aston box bolt straight on?

Same box to be found in the Vauxhall Monaro if you find one...

2 x V6s in a custom crank case....I'd be doubtful...