Repack Exhaust
mk_xe - 2/4/09 at 11:52 PM

Im repacking my exhaust in attempt to get noise down

Ive got that fibreglass packing on a roll from Car Builder

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/5-silencer-wadding-refill-swad5-433-p.asp

And some loose stuff

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/loose-stranded-silencer-wadding-swadbag-437-p.asp

Whats best technique - how dense?

Also ar ehtere any safety precautions to take - i.e. MAsk / Gloves. Is thus stuff nasty to health??

Ta for any help

bimbleuk - 3/4/09 at 07:52 AM

My preference is to use stainless wire wool wrapped around the perforated tube then wrap the matting around this. The wire wool can be up to about 1/2" thick and you might want to consider using lock wire at intervals to stop the wire wool moving down the tube. Then wrap about 3 layers of the matting round this depending on the silencer thickness. Not too tight just snug as you slide the whole assembly back in the can. Works for me as my perforated tube comes out with the end cap.

If you find the glass matting is burning/melting a lot then consider using basalt instead of the matting. Even use wire wool then , basalt and matting round that! Lots of fun playing with differnet technique.

mk_xe - 11/4/09 at 08:13 PM

Ive now repacked exhaust, with help of a mate, nasty job but its too load still for 98 Db track days.

Its a 5 ins diameter stainless one with welded on hangers.

the engine is a 232 hp vauxhall XE on carbs.

I have 2 issues:

1. Do I need a new silencer, is big better 7ins diam to get sound down, and not stainless steel?

2. Are there any universal hanging kits with bands like jubilee clips and connections to my current mounting points. Saves welding on new hangers.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

mr henderson - 11/4/09 at 08:58 PM

Is stainless wire wool less flammable than ordinary wire wool? I know normal wire wool burns really easily, you can set it off with a 9v battery. Ask me how I know!

John

40inches - 13/4/09 at 12:17 PM

How do you know?????