Board logo

mt75 4x4 gearbox to rwd conversion
hellbent345 - 10/6/09 at 08:05 PM

hi all, i have a mt75 4x4 gearbox from a 2.0l DOHC xr4x4i , and a rwd box of unknown origin. If i change over the rear sections of the gearboxes, so turning the 4x4 gearbox into a rwd gearbox, will the box be any stronger? or is it only the v6 4x4 boxes that are stronger?
Also ive already bought a rear oil seal for 14 quid or so, from fordpartsuk, but is there anywhere else i could have got it from, cheaper? It didnt come as part of a set
Thanks very much
Alan

aerobrick - 11/6/09 at 08:12 AM

Hi I have had in the past few years 2 MT75 4x4 boxes from a 2 DOHC Sierra and although they can be split to rebuild as a RWD only it to me seems hard,to be honest you would need a normal MT75 RWD box to convert it with and these are best left in one peice, I have a RWD MT75 box and had a quick look at it .IF you are still using the DOHC it would be far easier gettting a good MT75 RWD box with its back plate and Starter Motor its the same bolt pattern.

As for strength I would think no change.

As for the oil seal try Fords as the MT75 box and its variant was until recently used in Transits.

Regards

Vindi_andy - 11/6/09 at 09:13 AM

Ive heard its quite a job to convert them but as said its possible.

Also I just happen to have a RWD MT75 thats for sale just not got round to posting it yet. Ill give you first refusal.

Collection only though as they are quite weighty for carriage

hellbent345 - 11/6/09 at 04:46 PM

nice one chap, where are you based?

Thanks Al

Vindi_andy - 12/6/09 at 11:12 AM

Im in melton Mowbray in leicestershire

I would say Ill take it to newark but it might be a bit big to fit in Tango