Board logo

Plastic Fuel Tank Woes
Nick Davison - 19/7/04 at 10:58 AM

Has anyone got a contact, preferably a phone number, for Chris (aka PTM)? My tank has decided it no longer wants to hold fuel!
Please U2U.
Thanks
Nick

greggors84 - 19/7/04 at 11:56 AM

Join the queue. I think MK7 had got hold of his number.

Nick Davison - 19/7/04 at 12:32 PM

How did your's fail Chris?

Bob da builder - 19/7/04 at 02:18 PM

hey up

another member here!! mine split the day b4 the SVA!!! argh!

i dont have PTM`s contact but would be interested if you can get it!!

MK7 does have it.

so far i havent done much about it, but Mk very kindly suppling me with a new cost price ally tank this weekend. but if i could get something off PTM then that would be good!

the tank seams just parted! its not to bad if you keep the tank 1/4 full!! endless trips to the garage tho!!

bob

Nick Davison - 19/7/04 at 02:53 PM

Ihave had mine for about a year, installed in the car but not filled with fuel. I put about 5 litres in when I started the engine about 2 months ago no problem. Mindful of these problems you chaps had had I made sure it wasn't leaking and it had a vent in it. In fact it has a built in vent in the pump housing and the cap is a vented cap.
It has been sitting there with minimum fuel, dregs in the bottom, for about a month until now when the seams started to part. The walls and top have also distorted badly (probably causing the sides to split), not from a pressure related problem but from what seems like a chemical reaction to the fuel in it causing the material to expand.
Is this anything like your problems?
I spoke to Martin (MK) who told me about making you an ally tank at cost but as I dealt with Chris direct I wouldn't expect him to do one for me on those terms.
Nick

MK7 - 19/7/04 at 09:58 PM

I'm still in discussion with PTM about getting a refund. Chris has agreed a full refund (to his customer... MK) and I'm waiting for this to complete so I can then discuss getting the refund from MK.

I took my faulty tank back to MK on Saturday and heard from MK that PTM may have been the victim of a supply of the wrong sealing material which got into a (large) batch of tanks.

I'm sure that everyone that has had the misfortune to manufacture, supply or own a faulty plastic tank has got a few wounds to lick. I trust that everyone involved in this situation will work amicably to arrive at an equitable outcome for all.

speedthing - 19/7/04 at 10:59 PM

I have a ptm plastic i havn't filled it right up yet bugger

Nick Davison - 20/7/04 at 08:52 AM

Not all plastic tanks have split there are loads about still being used.
After talking to Martin K it seems that only some tanks have problems.

David Jenkins - 20/7/04 at 09:37 AM

Trouble is, you won't know until it's held petrol for a while, and then filled up.

Not good...

David

Viper - 22/7/04 at 07:25 PM

So does anyone need a fuel tank?

stephen_gusterson - 22/7/04 at 10:27 PM

you should make it really obvious to the uninitiated that you are a coded professional welder.

this one off marketing assistance is free. will charge for all subsequent assistance.

And if you wear the hat again

atb

steve

Viper - 22/7/04 at 10:33 PM

Have to wear some kind of hat, hides the shiney bit on the back of my head