Board logo

Polo radiator temperature sensor fitting
jon200 - 16/9/13 at 07:39 AM

Hi,

I've just filled my rad up and started warming the car and have a leak. It's coming from the temperature sensor hole. It feels to me like the brass threaded part has come loose in the plastic end tank. Has anyone had this before? It wasn't over tightened either an was just nipped with ptfe tape.

Could I repair it or is it new rad time? This was a new one btw.

Jon

Davey D - 16/9/13 at 07:57 AM

If the brass boss has come loose from the plastic end, then it isn't really repairable. If it was brand new, then id be taking it back to where i got it from.

There seems to be quite a bit of difference in the quality of these cheap radiators depending on what brand you get. The last one i got, the lower mounting posts were about 6mm closer together than my previous one, so the mounting holes i had in my chassis didn't line up with the radiator. In the end i had to cut, and modify them chassis mounts to make it fit also the small overflow pipe at the top of the radiator was smaller diameter than the previous one, so the bit of pipe i was using didn't push on as tight

adithorp - 16/9/13 at 08:22 AM

The brass fitting isn't always molded ridgidly in the end tank on these. Sometimes it's loose but captive (in a slot on the inside).

The sensor should seal against the face of the plastic tank with a sealing washer and not on the thread.

jon200 - 16/9/13 at 09:08 AM

It's been trimmed to fit Sony can't sen it back.

If I seal it against the plastic it will be ok then! Did I say I loved you adithorp lol I didn't realise that. I means I need another bung but explains the leak.

adithorp - 16/9/13 at 10:04 AM

Have you just got the supplied bung in the hole or a sensor. The bungs sometimes don't have a washer on them and leak (guess how I know). A dowty washer will usually do the job if you can find one big enough.

jon200 - 17/9/13 at 10:27 PM

I bought a cheap bung without a shoulder to mod for an acewell sender so need to buy another or make one with a shoulder to seal against.