Board logo

best engine for a locost
seven-italy - 23/2/07 at 07:55 AM

which is the best engine for a locost?

smart51 - 23/2/07 at 08:04 AM

The best engine for a lightweight car is one that is light and powerful but not too torquey. Too much torque and all you'll get is wheelspin. Too heavy and you'll nolonger have a light weight car.

macnab - 23/2/07 at 08:05 AM

It all depends what your looking for in the car and how it is to be used. Not really a valid question.

I'd like a supercharged V8 just for the fun in trying to control it

What's wrong with loads off wheelspin? tyres are cheap...

[Edited on 23/2/07 by macnab]

D Beddows - 23/2/07 at 08:07 AM

You realy didn't want to ask that

The best engine is the one YOU want to fit - older Ford engines are easiest because rwd gearboxes aren't an issue and it's been done many times before but there's no point spending all the time and money building a car with one if it's not the engine you want.

If you do a search you will get a fair idea of the pros and cons of just about every engine on your list - and I suspect a heated dissussion is about to ensue on this thread which, if previous similar threads are anything to go by, wont help you at all

shortie - 23/2/07 at 08:11 AM

'Sits at bar, orders pint and awaits the fun!!'

cue major discussion!!

There's no best engine, make your choice, build one, if you make the wrong choice build another!

fesycresy - 23/2/07 at 08:14 AM

How much money have you got or is it a dreaming question ?

A nice 300bhp Duratec or turbo busa would just about satisfy my needs

Danozeman - 23/2/07 at 10:16 AM

Im surprised helfire hasnt joined in yet.

Different people will have different opinions on engine choice. If you want an out and out track screamer then a bike engine is best. For cruising about with plenty of power then car engine.

Iv gone zetec because its a relativley light modern engine and they easy to come by and cheap.

My next build will be a V8 for the sound and extra grunt..

macnab - 23/2/07 at 10:21 AM

No great surprises so far on how the voting’s going, mostly the engines folk are always talking about.

iank - 23/2/07 at 10:55 AM

Completely pointless question as there really isn't a right answer except 'it fits and has the characteristics that suit what you want your car to be'.

BlackSheep - 23/2/07 at 11:06 AM

I'd love to get my hands on this:

http://www.radicalextremesportscars.com/news_folder/v8_sheruns/index.php

two hayabusa engines stuck to each other to make a v8... how's that for power to weight

DarrenW - 23/2/07 at 01:28 PM

There isnt such thing as a best engine. Depends on so many variables.

Volvorsport - 23/2/07 at 04:48 PM

uh - oh !!- i ticked other .

MikeRJ - 23/2/07 at 05:14 PM

I ticked other. Only thing is the 500bhp, 10kg cold fusion engine I have in mind isn't actualy available at the current time...

Simon - 23/2/07 at 08:22 PM

Sorry, I don't consider the R V8 an american engine. Too long in the UK

So voted other!

ATB

Simon