Board logo

gunk in water!!
les - 9/5/07 at 08:52 PM

hi guys,

I have problems with my 2L zetec.

I have only run the engine a few times for a few minutes each time.
and have just opened the water cap and i have cream / yellow gunk in the water!

im guessing that this is oil in the water,
can anyone help with what it might be-

head gasket?

please no!!!

les

aerobrick - 9/5/07 at 08:56 PM

How much gunk cos it maybe just the deposits from your rebuild flush it out refill flush again refill and try again borrow a hg gas tester to confirm or plugs out compression test.

les - 9/5/07 at 09:02 PM

hi,

thanks for the reply, the water pump has drawn in the water down to quite a low level in the header tank, has a small scum line round the water of cream / yellow,
then oily film on the water?

les

stevebubs - 9/5/07 at 09:09 PM

as mentioned, clean it out thoroughly.

It the gunk returns then test it for exhaust gases as I'd start to suspect head gasket.

stevebubs - 9/5/07 at 09:10 PM

any deposits on your oil filler cap?

BenB - 9/5/07 at 09:15 PM

If its cruddy clay type desosit then its probably gunk flushed out.... Opened up my tintop rad for the first time the other day and was amazed by the amount of grot in there (and the headgasket is super-duper for sure!!)

If it's oil it should form proper mayo....

les - 9/5/07 at 09:45 PM

hi,

I just had a look in the oil filler cap, and on the dipstick- nothing out of the ordinary visible-

will try a flush and report back!

although old engine it has new cooling system, dont think engine has been run for a long time.

thanks for the advice guys, will report tomorow

les

stevebubs - 9/5/07 at 11:10 PM

when I first got my fury, I attached a hose to the cooling system to flush it...you would not believe how much crud came out of the block...

britishtrident - 10/5/07 at 08:21 AM

Yep flush it out with a flushing agent and lots of fast flowing water -- take thermostat cover off.

After that test run it with plain water if OK put proper coolant in ---- be aware antifreeze coolant is more likely to find any leaks than plain water.

For extra long term confidence stick 1/4 container of K-Seal in.

NS Dev - 10/5/07 at 12:06 PM

Doh, had the same on my Vauxhall XE a few days before sva.

Head gasket more likely than not I'm afraid.

les - 10/5/07 at 10:56 PM

ok,

done some more investigation:

water in header tank only has the gunk on the surface: ran the engine fora wgile today: no new gunk, and oil still looks good,

for the moment i think im going to flush out system, and hope its not the gasket!
thank guys

les