Board logo

Zetec Block - Lip in Bores
T1GER_SUPERCA7 - 12/3/08 at 06:20 PM

All,

I was about to Ultrasonically clean my block today and when I took the head off I found that there is a quite sunstantial lip on the bores. I know that it is not possible to get over sized piston rings for the 2.0 Zetec and the only option would be to re-bore and use Vaulhall XE pistons however, I didn't really account for that in my budget. I would have thought that the lip - by touch (I will mic them up tonight) are about 0.1mm at worst, probably even less. Should I just ream the ridge and re-hone - You can still see the original honing marks on the rest of the bore. Or should I just get a new short engine because I have heard you can pick them up for £500?Not only this, I dont think I was as good with the WD40 after I cleaned the bores and there is very very slight evidence of rust in them. Would you think this would be ok if I ultrasonically cleaned them and then properly covered with WD40?

Too many questions and not enough time.

Cheers

Chris

Mal - 12/3/08 at 06:47 PM

My 1.8 Zetec had some bore wear near the top of the stroke.
I took it to an engine machining company and had the bores honed. There was a small area which did not clean up, but I fitted new standard size piston rings and the engine has been fine.
I would not reccommend a honing mop on the end of an electric drill for doing this.

HTH

Mal

Danozeman - 12/3/08 at 08:17 PM

If the lip is very slight i would hone the bores and put new rings in. Im sure it will be fine.

Schrodinger - 12/3/08 at 08:33 PM

Check the boresfor ovality while you are at it, I had a block that was way out of round when I checked.

02GF74 - 13/3/08 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mal
I would not reccommend a honing mop on the end of an electric drill for doing this.

Interesting ^^^^

from what I have heard about honing modern engines that makes sense - the honing is much more of a precise science than it was the age of the pintosaurus.

gazza285 - 13/3/08 at 08:18 PM

You can use the specially designed ridge reamer to remove the ridge before honing.