Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 1st MOT tomorrow
smart51

posted on 27/11/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
1st MOT tomorrow

my vortx has its first MOT tomorrow. 3 years has gone fast. What should I worry about / do something about before the test?

Already, I've bled the brakes a bit because the fluid was a little over the max level. I've gone over it and checked for things that are obviously loose. I've checked that all the bulbs work and that the handbrake and foot brakes are OK. What else should I do?

coozer

posted on 27/11/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
When I took my Striker the first time he lifted it up had a look at the flat ali floor and said to me. 'what do you want me to look at?'

I'm sure as long as tyres, lights, brakes and emmissions are OK and nothings hanging off then it should fly through.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DIY Si

posted on 27/11/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
A 7's MOT takes about 15 minutes. And then 20-25 minutes sat chatting to the mechanic about it. Most things can be seen just walking around it, and lifting it up just means they can check the wheel bearings and that the wish bones aren't about to fall off. That's pretty much all there is to it. Hell, my last one didn't even include brake test due to a broken roller and a mechanic scared of getting in my car with a G meter.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Agriv8

posted on 27/11/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
does your V5 have emision on ? if so take that.

waggle the wheels, spin em check that they arnt binding.

check braklines for ware/tare corosion.

check there is no play in the sterring or any of the whishbones.

Check you exhuast system is not bloowing

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Agriv8

posted on 27/11/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
....... my last one didn't even include brake test due to a broken roller and a mechanic scared of getting in my car with a G meter.

that made me smile once remeber taking my mot man out in the offroad range rover buggy (full time 4 wheel drive ) he could not reach the peddles so I drove .

"up to 40 and hit the breaks hard - I want to see two black line's I gave him 4 black line and whiplash !!! and he also dropped the G meter !!!

happy days

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

smart51

posted on 27/11/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I asked the tester on the phone if it was visible smoke only on a Q plate. He said he thought so but wasn't sure. The garage owner asked me to bring the V5 in. The V5 has SVA emissions limits on it.

Do I need to take the V5 to an MOT test? I haven't for the only other car I had MOTed.

Is he going to try to make me have a cat test or will it be visible smoke?

[Edited on 27-11-2008 by smart51]

David Jenkins

posted on 27/11/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
He'll get told when he logs into the DVLA testers' database at the start of the test. It SHOULD be smoke only.

My local MOT garage loves doing my car - as said above, 15 minutes to do a thorough check, then a chinwag while the tester waits for the official time to run out (they're supposed to take 45 minutes, I believe).

DIY Si

posted on 27/11/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd turn up without it and see what happens. If they end up making you do a cat test, I';d try and find a more "friendly" garage. I know there is more than 1 lotus in the local area with the same emissions result as a old knackered fiesta.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

smart51

posted on 27/11/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I'd turn up without it and see what happens. If they end up making you do a cat test, I';d try and find a more "friendly" garage.

I've been trying to find a friendly garage but only got a suggestion after I'd booked this test. On the plus side, they're a small private outfit and don't charge the full rate.

Guinness

posted on 27/11/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I did a trackday in mine on the Monday, then took it straight up to the garage the next morning for it's first MOT.

I didn't even check the tyres still had any tread on them!

Still it passed, with no advisories or any problems with the emissions / DVLA computer (which surprised me!)

Good luck!

Mike

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/11/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
2nd MOT for us the other day, it failed on:

Steering Rack Gaitor split.
O/S sidelight not bright enough.

Both easy and cheap, firstly hotglue the coke bottle top with the bulb in back to the headlight, then £3.40 for a pair of steering gaitors, done in 30 mins.

Took it back today, 5 mins and it's got another year on the road.

Advisories were:

O/S and N/S top and bottom shock bushes worn and steering rack worn, they can wait for the summer.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 28/11/08 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Mines due on 3/1/09

Just checked my V5 and the section about emmissions doesn't say anything so I guess that's the visible smoke test?

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 28/11/08 by Simon]

smart51

posted on 28/11/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well its over and done now. A fail sadly. When the brake or tail lights are on, the indicator behaves funnily. An earth problem probably. He said to pop it in any time they're open and he'll check it and give me a pass. They were all working yesterday.
smart51

posted on 29/11/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
PASS! They looked at the lights in combination then gave me the green pass certificate. He didn't even charge me the retest fee. I'll be going back there next year.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.