Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Build Diary ?
tommyab

posted on 11/1/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Build Diary ?

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks, but this is my first post.

I have ordered an MK Indy R kit and quite a few parts from MK - should be ready for me to collect at the end of the month. Getting an R1 engine to go in it, from Malcom at yorkshire engines.

I am thinking of keeping an online build diary. I think this will be a good way of recording my build for future reference - question is - is this a good method for demonstrating the build to the people at the SVA (will be IVA when im finished!) ?

Many thanks
Tom

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/1/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt, if I'm honest, that they'd go online to start looking at your site and you'd still have to copy photos off for them as they retain some to send off.
Its a good idea all the same, mine fell by the wayside due to the length of the build.

Hellfire

posted on 11/1/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, welcome to the madhouse. Good choice of kit and great choice of engine

An on-line build diary will be useful for copies of the photos you'll need to submit. I doubt whether any of the SVA/IVA inspectors would read it though.

Phil

coozer

posted on 11/1/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I started my build diary as a way of documenting my build to mainly help me look back but so far have had over 10,000 hits.

It encouraged me to take pictures for the updates and helped me decide what to do next,

I printed the pictires off into a photo diary for SVA and DVLA. The SVA man didn't look at it, all he was interested in was the prove of engine age.

Now I find its a good source of info when peeps on here ask questions and I'm still updating it as the car develops (or gets repaired!)

Dead easy to set up with google and keep up to date. Click my banner below to go see it.

Cheers,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

paul the 6th

posted on 11/1/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
hiya mate,

yeah I'd considered a build log on one of the various blogging sites until I thought about how no one would really be that interested in how "I had trouble de-rusting this bit" or "this bolt was impossible to loosen" so I decided to go with google webalbums.

You get free webspace for all your pictures and if you download/install Google Picasa, you can arrange your pics into albums then upload with a single click (not to mention choosing the final size of the pics once uploaded etc). Mine is here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/paul.wilson.uk

if I ever need any of the pictures, they're all stored online and I've not need to start searching for memory cards/discs etc.

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mr_pr

posted on 11/1/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I thought about a blog too, but then decided I couldn't be arsed. Now I tend to just keep updating a 'Build Progress' thread on this forum.... As can be seen here!

By the way, good luck with the build! It is awesome fun, even when your are swearing at bits.

My Build Progress

tommyab

posted on 11/1/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Some great looking cars on yours! I have certainly gained a few ideas from reading them.

I think I will aim to start one (and keep it going) , if only for my own future reference.

Im really looking forward to getting started

I have been putting off cleaning out the garage, after moving house recently - now I have a decent reason to do it!

Cheers,
Tom

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.