Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New entrant to the world of locosts
Mellow Matt

posted on 13/4/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
New entrant to the world of locosts

I have recently become a new member of the locost owners community I bought it off Mark (Meeerrrk) from here (CLICK) just over a week ago and have been having mega fun with it since!

These BECs don't half go don't they?! I've had a bit of a baptism of fire into the BEC world! It was a lovely sunny day when I went to pick it up from Mark, which was lucky, but I got stuck on the m25 surrounded by big lorries in grid lock for about an hour, which was a, uh, novel experience... Had a couple of days' worth of getting used to the car and playing around with it, trying not to stall it and look like a pillock (well, more of a pillock than anyone looks in this type of car!). I didn't get to use it over the weekend before last as I was out of the country, so sod's law that it was beautiful weather.

Decided to take it back to Essex to visit the parents and friends over the Easter holiday, so set off at about 10am on Friday. At about 10.10am it started raining, at 10.20am my clutch cable snapped I thought I was embarrassed driving a strange looking car, then I thought I was embarrassed driving a silly looking car in the rain, but no, i was embarrassed when I got stuck on a main road with tonnes of traffic in a silly car with no roof in the rain lol. Luckily I'm an AA member so within an hour or so I was off again with a new clutch cable, so no major worries. Didn't even get too wet

The other hassle I've found of owning a BEC is that you pretty much have to write a rota in order to organise the army of people wanting to have a go in it! Even my mates' mums want a go (not like that )!

So yeah, pretty exciting so far, and I've built up my muscles from pushing it backwards a lot

Can't wait for a trackday...

Guinness

posted on 13/4/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome

Sounds about standard for BEC ownership!

Mike

Mellow Matt

posted on 13/4/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Heheh, cheers, now I know what I've let myself in for

Big thanks to Mark for being nice & helpful bloke too btw!

Steve Hignett

posted on 13/4/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
You've bought a good car for the money there mate!

Enjoy!

ATB

slimtater

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Matt - think it was you I sent details of mine to in response to your Pistonheads ad? Decided not to sell mine and I am doing some more bits to it ready for summer.
Got to say, I am impressed that you got the AA to sort a clutch cable - out of interest, what did they use?

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

Mellow Matt

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys

Yes it was me you sent the details of your car to, don't blame you for not selling it with summer around the corner tbh!

The cable had snapped just where it came through the bulkhead to the clutch pedal, so it was easier to just put a whole new cable in. The guy had a big length of clutch cable in the back of his van, so he just trimmed a bit of that off and attached that. I'm not sure of the type of cable if that's what you mean? It wasn't anything heavy duty or anything, looked very similar to cable that came off to my untrained eye! The guy was a great help actually, first time I've had to use the AA and I was pretty impressed

slimtater

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you got sorted with a car - I may still get the new Focus RS but keep the BEC for REAL fun!
When my clutch cable snapped, I had real trouble getting anything off the shelf - perhaps I will try the AA next time as I am now a member as well. I am not convinced the one I have is meaty enough.

Mellow Matt

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I was out in an '03 Focus RS this weekend and it was pretty impressive, so I imagine the new one is mightily impressive too!

The AA guy reckoned that the cable was probably too tight before on my car (the pedal was very stiff) and with this new cable the pedal's a lot lighter, so hopefully it'll last a bit longer if it's not under the same stress. Having said that, I reckon I might have a look for something a bit sturdier just in case...

slimtater

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
What you might find is it is lighter due to being thinner so it moves more freely within the outer "tube". This is what makes me think mine won't last long as the inner cable is thinner than the one that was on. The one MNR have on their site is a 4mm which is pretty thick (and £55)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.