Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: scared to drive
Moorron

posted on 15/4/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
scared to drive

Now this may sound silly and i was seeing if anyone else feels the same as me but i go all funny when i want to go out for a drive!

Ever since i got the car i have become nervous (is that how you spell it) when i want to go out for a drive but im unsure why. I get nervous when i need to fill up (i once flattened the battery at the local) and i also find myself 'putting it off' when i should be out there using it.

Am i afraid i will break down or something? i did 130 miles over the weekend but only in the local area (30 miles radius) and sometimes think i could have driven to the derbyshire dales in less distance. I have onyl done 2 long distance drives, one was when i picked the car up, monmoth south wales to telford with a friend following and one on a guys drinking bender to sheffield area.

I have also drove the stoneleigh 2007 with a gang of nutters (from here).

So what can i do to calm myself down so i use my pride and joy?

When im out driving normally im fine it just seems to be getting in the car in the first place.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

stevebubs

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps going out on a "social" drive...with someone calling round to meet?
tegwin

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar issue with my car after I finished it....

The best thing to do is to sit yourself down and tell yourself to DEAL WITH IT...... Get in the car and drive it (within reason) like you stole it... enjoy it... if it breaks down, so be it...

After a few drives like that you start to realise that the car is not quite as tempremental as you thought it might be... its not as scary or dangerous to drive as you first thought.. and hey... its actually a lot more fun than you ever thought it could be..

Get out there any enjoy it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

tegwin

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
perhaps going out on a "social" drive...with someone calling round to meet?

Why does that sound like you are suggesting he goes curb crawling ...maybe its just me...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mark chandler

Book yourself on a track day and really learn what the car can do, this will then ease your worries.

The same applies to motorbikes, you learn so much more in relative safety.

Regards Mark

omega0684

i think its more of a confidence thing for most people, you here so many things on here about cars breaking down etc you start to feel that yours is going to be the same, im always thinking that the car is overheating when in fact its absolutely fine!

when you become confident in your car you won't want to stop driving it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just put a helmet on and become captain fearless, just had mine out for a quick blast tonight after a 6month hibernation period and ragged the nuts off it.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just keep going out for regular drives and increase the distance you travel each time. Before you know it, you'll be going to the South of France and back each time your Mrs sends you out for a pint of milk.

Phil

YQUSTA

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit this is my first rear wheel drive car and first bec.

I too bought mine and drove it for 3 hours to get home, which was fine.

not long after owning it the throttle cable went on 1 of my outings not far from my housebut it was a tow home jobbie.

since then I have the feeling something will go wrong every time I go out, cant stop thinking about the noises etc.

In reality there is nothing wrong (I hope) and have done many miles along with some more 2-3 hour trips.

I found going on a track day was a big help to get used to how the car handles and as said before drove it hard but not hard enough to smash it up.

I plan on doing more track days on air fields (big run offs just in case ) to get used to it even more.

I know the car will go like stink and I also know it can bite me in the arse at any moment its just a matter of knowing how far to push.

as with me I think the more you drive it the less you will think about it even if you just do short trips it will all help

Moorron

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
cheers lads. Strange think is i do find i look at the oil pressure and temp all the time. Its the fuel i should be checking lol.

Im in the AA and i do own a Range rover which she can drive and pick me up but i still find myself only going on local known roads.

i do rag it some times and do tend to let those who erge me on pass but i still find myself talking myself out of taking it to work and such. Its not like its far or unsecure.

I worked out this w/e i can do 28 mpg in it. Which when compaired to my daily range rovers 14mpg makes sense to take it to work as much as possible.

Maybe stonleight this year might help some?

UncleFista

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've been twatted now by 2 cars, I'm quite careful now whilst out driving but I wouldn't say I'm nervous.
I'm more worried about breaking down, although I've always managed to limp home in the past but when I know my brother (my own recovery service) is out or at work I do tend to stay close to home.

If I were you I'd invest in some tip-top AA/RAC service and just think that if the worst comes to the worst it's a ride home in a flat-back

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

austin man

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
caution to the wind if it breaks fix it, bet it never stops you driving your main car. The only thing that should worry you is the rain unless youve got a top or a big f umbrella. By the way fishing umbrellas are a godsend in these cars co they cover the full cockpit

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

A1

posted on 15/4/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
i was a wee bit nervous after my wee bang, but just took it really easy at first and took some time to get used to her...
im still wanting to go on the track though, cause i really dont know what shes capable of and dont want to break the limits on the open road.
it should be pretty reliable, just do checks before you go out. ive never had a breakdown, even with quite a few flat out blasts where its been sitting at about 10000 rpm for about 30 mins.

COREdevelopments

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
i get all excited when i take mine out, (the car i mean)! a little bit is nerves. im getting used to driving it now. Also i check the car over before going out, last thing i found loose was the prop shaft! but i new it had came loose as i heard it cluncking.
i also have breakdown cover buthopefully will not need that.

Rob

[Edited on 16/4/09 by COREdevelopments]

TimC

posted on 16/4/09 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't expect this from you mate - you seemed very confident when you collected the car - and you didn't squirm at all when I took you out. I hate being a passenger in these cars!

The track day will open your eyes - really!

quote:
Originally posted by Moorron

By the way, there's a pic of the car in the Total Kit Car Stoneleigh Show Guide along with a couple of other MKs from the OC stand in 2007!

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/4/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I used to find that when I had my bikes I'd stay pretty local unless I had a load of mates going on a ride out to the lakes or something.

Try and get along to a few meets, meet some locals and organise going for a blast to your nearest country park type place (I think you mentioned the dales?)

I always found when there was a reason and a bit of company for stopping and chatting with about the ride, it was far more enjoyable and gave less time to think about the "noises" etc.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/4/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Do a track day.

If nothing breaks, wears out or drops off - you know it's all good. You may decide the track is where you need to be, who knows.

As for muppets on the road, if there's one on your side of the road around the next corner, you're dead. They won't even establish that fact until they've finished their phonecall. Decide if it's worth the risk. I know that on the road I risk death or very serious injury in the Westfield or on the Bike.

Speaking of which, the amount of mud and diesel splattered all over the road at the moment is something else!!!

richardh

posted on 16/4/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
my old KC broke down twice on way to sva in the p'eeing rain. annoying at the time but mildly funny afterwards.

i put wrong oil in gearbox so my fault first time then 2nd time i was actually out of fuel but it read half full.

my new one i'm still nervous about. it runs weak on fuel and i've posted lots on here about that.

I took it to detling - 30 miles away so not far - but it drove great even though it needs dyno'd and i loved it. it corners on rails and blasted a S2000, boxster and an evo 8 round the twisties no probs.

the great thing is that unlike tin tops we are the builders so basically know what might be the problem if it breaks.
if not then posting here will always get an answer for you....................

and its cheaper to repair than a tin top

GeoffT

posted on 16/4/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I also think the instant celebrity status these cars seem to bestow on you isn't everybody's cup of tea - you can tend to feel that the whole world is looking and pointing at you the first few times you venture out.

I once found myself stuck in traffic in a busy Windsor town centre, surrounded by Japanese tourists taking pictures of the car - a "beam me up Scotty" moment for me, but others I'm sure would have been less embarassed.

Nowadays I just get in and drive it like it was any other car, it's just familiarity with driving it I suppose....

BenB

posted on 16/4/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
It's worth considering going on a tour (like the Sevens list tour). I was very wary of driving kits until I drove to / from / round most of Ireland. Soon sorted out my worries...... I still occasionally feel a bit apprehensive before a blat but it soon goes once the wheels start spinning!!! I'd certainly recommend a track day. Ragging the hell out of the car in a safe environment teaches you what you can / can't do and shows you it can handle quite a bit of abuse without breaking down....
graememk

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
is this one of your you tube vids as you dont look to scared

youtube

Moorron

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Didn't expect this from you mate - you seemed very confident when you collected the car - and you didn't squirm at all when I took you out. I hate being a passenger in these cars!

The track day will open your eyes - really!

quote:
Originally posted by Moorron

By the way, there's a pic of the car in the Total Kit Car Stoneleigh Show Guide along with a couple of other MKs from the OC stand in 2007!

lol i remember that day. I didnt mind the drive, but didnt like the bit where i couldnt breath with the air hitting me (like that panic attack you got when as a kid you stuck your head out of the window when going fast?).

Im not to worried of the thing breaking as long as i can fix it later on its more of being stuck on the side of a busy road on my own and not knowing what to do.

Oh yes i kept a copy of that photo from last years book (i think) of the MK owners stand. Im a star lol.

The amount of times i have stalled the car when in the middle of ironbridge when there are hundreds of tourists about is funny to me. I dont mind this, as long as i dont get stuck and block the whole road and annoying lots of other drivers.

I feel safe in the car when driving it, i have learnt how twitchy it is in the wet and love it. It does help when in a convoy as you know your not alone if things stop working.

Maybe what i am feeling is excitement not nerves?

[Edited on 16/4/09 by Moorron]

[Edited on 16/4/09 by Moorron]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.