Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Club-level competition and track day car
Chris71

posted on 27/4/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Club-level competition and track day car

Not actively looking yet, but in the next few months I hope to pick up a new toy for track days, occasional road use and maybe a spot of very low level club competition.

The idea is to purchase something second hand (complete) which will be cheap and straightforward to maintain. Purchase price isn't particularly important, within reason, but I'd like something which would hold its value reasonably.

The question is what?

A 'Seven of some description appeals because the weight advantage and the fact the oily bits are all easy to get to with no bodywork in the way. However there are two issues - it will always be driven to the track so the weather protection might be a bit of a problem and, secondly, I'm conscious of the extra drag an open wheeled design creates - would something like a Fury or G27 be more fun on the faster tracks?

The other consideration is what would work best for a spot of low-level competition? Is there any design which is particularly well supported for things like sprints and autotests?

Finally, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to hands-on work. Are there any designs which are particularly straightforward to work on? Any donor platforms which are easier to get hold of for spares etc?

The current shortlist is something like:
Striker
Westfield
Fury/Stylus
Ginetta G27
Supercharged MX5

Any thoughts?

ETA: One other thing - I guess this is largely a case of the silencer, but my local tracks are quite stringent on noise - is there anything particular to go for or avoid? Would bike engined cars, for example, be an issue?

[Edited on 27/4/09 by Chris71]

londonsean69

posted on 27/4/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you are going to compete in it, I would suggest trailering it to races, just incase a prang leaves you unable to drive it home

Sean

nick205

posted on 27/4/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think you have you're shortlist about right there, just a case of deciding whether you want fully body or 7 type although you could fit wet weather gear to either - Full bodied would be a little more comfortable in the wet though IMHO.

If you're after auto testing then I guess a bike engine may be out due to the reverse gear issue.

Most cars are going to be Ford based with maybe a Ford, Vauxhall or Toyota motor so spares and repairs shouldn't be any real issue. If you buy from the person who built the car then get as much detail from them as you can on what they've fitted etc. Most builders seem to keep pretty good notes/files on their cars.

As above if you're racing/tracking/competing then a trailer would eb a good idea to ensure you can get home again. If you look for a racing package then you might be able to pick up a car and trailer + track/road wheels/tyres for a good all-in price.

Chris71

posted on 27/4/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with towing is I don't really have the space for a trailer or a suitable tow car. I guess the latter would be easy enough to remedy (although technically I'm not sure my license covers towing as I only passed in 2003).

To be honest I can't really afford any form of motorsport where there's a significant chance of hitting something. Joking aside the idea was more sprints and auto-solos, so hopefully I could get away with driving there and back more than I could with circuit racing.

Just had a look at a few classifieds (yes, getting ahead of myslef here) and realised that with the fully pivotting bonnet style the Fury actually gives you the same sort of engine-bay access as a '7 does.

MK9R

posted on 27/4/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I race in the 750 MC RGB series and just changed my stuart taylor locosaki to a Fury. The fury is a fantastic and its definitely easier to get to everything than the 7 as all the GRP comes of very easily and the chassis isn't as narrow.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JimSpencer

posted on 27/4/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Although i'm a bit biased the Striker or Westfield would be the top of my list, if you're planning club motorsport, especially sprints / autotests (Autosolo's & hillclimbs?)

Both are light and the striker is small, a serious advantage on a small circuit / hillclimb IMHO, and being able to see the front wheels is handy for the tests or hills to a point.

Check in your local area if a Bike engined car puts you in an odd class or our of road going altogether - it does in a couple of areas plus you'll probably need reverse.

A windscreen is pretty much obligatory in most areas.

Wouldn't worry about the trailer bit if you're keeping it road registered, didn't have one for the first few years only a hassle once (RAC rescued it, no race numbers and it's a road car again!)

Hope this helps

Chris71

posted on 27/4/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, something like a Zetec powered Striker with some weather gear suddenly rather appeals.

I think as far as the kits go (assuming bike engines are a bit noisy for track days and a bit manic for road use) the two main questions are:

Sevenesque or full-width body?

and

Live axle or IRS?

Are there any particular reasons to favour either of the above?

And back on the matter of competition - I don't suppose anyone here is involved in club motor sport in the Hertfordshire sort of area? I noticed there are a couple of promising looking car clubs nearby.

PS Does anyone want a TVR S3? Fantastic fast road car, but think it's definitely going to make way for something a bit more track-orientated now.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 27/4/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Sportscars supply full weather gear with there Indys,the Indy R with a zetec could be what your looking for,check them out.
http://www.mksportscars.co.uk/ Rescued attachment newark3.jpg
Rescued attachment newark3.jpg

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.