Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: NEED HELP!!!Dont know what to try next!!!
robcool

posted on 3/5/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
NEED HELP!!!Dont know what to try next!!!

Hey people

Firstly would like to say hey to you all as I am a new member, abit of back ground I haven’t long got myself a locost 7, it has a 2.0l pinto engine in it, sierra running gear.

T and T the car and had it running for a day and then she started to play up back firing down the road I have sorted that out as it was number one cylinder inlet valve closed up, also changes the timing belt as that had seem better days.

But now the car will idle fine, but when I am driving the car about 2000rpm slightly over and slight gas the car lags, coughing and spluttering, but when I push past that the car pulls fine.
Now I am not shore where to look next, thinking it could be timing slightly out but not shore on the timing mark. But if its running timing should only be abit out, so does that get sorted at the dizzy?
Or is it the carb adjustment? Now I don’t know what carb are on the car, it’s a single one with two mixture screws on it to me it look like the original one for the car. I have adjusted them 3 turns out from fully in.

Well please help as the weather is lovely and I want to enjoy my time out in the car as at the moment I am not.

Cheers Rob

jacko

posted on 3/5/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome to the mad house
What dizzy are you using ? vacuum if so is the vacuum pipe on ok ? if you suck on the pipe with the dizzy cap off can you see the plates move ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robcool

posted on 3/5/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Not shore what dizzy is on there, i did take the pipe off and there was a vacuum on the pipe to the engine but not shore about the other way. well try that!!

[Edited on 3/5/09 by robcool]

JoelP

posted on 3/5/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
classic mistake, change two things at once and you dont know whats caused the problem! Sounds to me like overfueling on one needle, but i dont even class as an amateur when it comes to carbs. Check your timing is good and then get it onto a rolling road, you'll struggle to maximise performance yourself.
lotusmadandy

posted on 3/5/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob,

welcome to the nut house.
I had a very similar problem with my mk when i first built it,i was using the pierburg carb that came with the donor.
It would rev cleanly to 2900 rpm then missfire until 3100,after that it was fine.
I stripped and cleaned it half a dozen times to no avail.Eventually i ditched it for proper carbs,problem solved.

Andy

[Edited on 3/5/09 by lotusmadandy]

martin1973

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
i would be looking for a leek in the intake
somewhere?

martin

Richard Quinn

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
i would be looking for a leek in the intake
somewhere?
Now, that would cause an obstruction! Failing that, it could be an onion in the exhaust. Sorry!

iiyama

posted on 4/5/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote

In my case it would be a cabbage behind the wheel!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

snapper

posted on 4/5/09 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Start with the basics.
Check spark timing with a strobe light.
As you have changed the cam belt check the cam timing, it's a little more involved but once you have these set and are confident that you know what's what then you can move on to checking other things.

Remember, Fuel, Air, Spark

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

robcool

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
yeh was thinking about that just need to get the equipment to do that. however when i changed the belt i made my own timing marks are there isn't any apart from on the crank pully.
disco_biscuit

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
There should be a metal plate on the back of the camshaft pulley with a point kinda like an arrow on it, this lines up with a dot on the head, if i remember its at about 6'oclock. theres a line on the body of the distributor which the rotor arm should line up with no.1 cylinder and the big marks on the crank pulley and block.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.