Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: So, what do we think then???
russbost

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
So, what do we think then???

OK, it's still not quite finished, waiting for the front half of the airbox/passenger seat cover & I need to make up a diffuser for the rear end to hide the ugly exhaust pipes. But, opinions/constructive critiscism is welcome (not that I'm likely to make many changes at this stage - at least not in the immediate future).
Front
Front

Rear
Rear

Apologies for the quality of the pics - done in a hurry!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
One word: stunning! That is going to attract a lot of attention.

My only criticism would be the engine cowling, which looks a bit odd from the rear because it's asymmetric. I guess there no easy answer to that with a transverse engine though.

Project7

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Are you a Mclaren Fan?

The Car looks very impressive, good work.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Looks very cool

You still haven’t fixed the front brake hose btw

Those black bracket things on the pods need to be silver. Sorry don’t like the windscreen, can’t it be curved like usual??

Front spoiler appears to have shrunk rather a lot.

Overall though it’s still a spectacular car for the road

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardh

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
very nice

Time for a change!

Stuart_B

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
looking great.

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

nick205

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
That's turned out very well IMHO.

The front wing looks too narrow, but I like the Audi'esque front side lights a lot. Could you do something similar on the rear?

Miks15

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Love the front lights... might do something similar on mine
02GF74

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
very smart but if you want my comments, then herethey are.

the sides of the nose cone look like flat pieces of aluminium sheet riveted in - if they were curved outwards, that would look much nicer - easier said than done I know.

also the rear engine cover. any reason for the gapes between iot and the body work?

also why is it so wide? could it be made narrower at the top and made more to llok like an air intake?

is it a 2 seater?

apart from that, a job extremely well done - you'll certainly draew a crowd in Tescos car park.

Steve Hignett

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Good looking car there!
James

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Much prefer the 'Woking boys' colours to that Italian lot you're so keen on!

Would it be worth putting mesh over the side pod intakes? Or longer front wheel arches? It's just that I can see you needing a pit man to clear all the crap out of the side pod- just like an F1 pitstop!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

stevegough

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Nice - very nice - but what is mr IVA going to make of it - or have you already done that and got the t-shirt?

Regards, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

nitram38

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Nice - very nice - but what is mr IVA going to make of it - or have you already done that and got the t-shirt?

Regards, Steve.

Did you miss the Reg plate?

Very Nice job Russ!

handyandy

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
that looks stunning, my 12 yr old lad wants me to make one & take him to school in it
andy

speedyxjs

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
OMG!!!
That is soooooooo nice!

SPYDER

posted on 29/5/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Don't hide the exhaust......re- route it into a sidepod and have it exiting through the rear upper deck. Then you are free to construct a better looking diffuser.
And the wheels don't look right. Might be better in black.

roadrunner

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice
I bet Lewis Hamilton will be searching for his car for ages now.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I like it!

I can just imagine the reaction when that steams up behind some old Grandpa in his Micra...

Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Boy, are you gonna have some fun goading the 'cruise crew' lads in their pocket-money rockets

Think we should run a sweep on how many times a week you get pulled over by the BIB??

[Edited on 29/5/09 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

russbost

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx for that guys, to answer the bits n bobs in order
The Asymmetric engine cover is symmetrical on the bike engined version.
Quite right, front brake hose needs clipping in place
The "black bracket things" on the sidepods are in fact the indicator side repeaters - 2mm thick led strips, would be tricky to paint them silver & still have the leds visible
Front & rear spoilers are the same width - done for cost reasons, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to offer a larger wing as an alternative fit - perhaps an enormous snow shovel like this years cars!
Still looking at various options long term on the rear lights - had to have something on there for SVA!
The nose & body sides are flat simply because that's how modern F1's are, I'm sure individual owners may modify to get a particular "look" that they want.
Gaps at rear of engine cover are there to let heat out - with a bike engine installation they tend to get a bit warm - the engine cover unfortunately needs to be that wide to get over the Toyota engine - again the bike version looks neater - it also looks better when the front half of the airbox is on

airbox
airbox

which also answers the question "is it a 2 seater" Yes!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dale

posted on 29/5/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I really like it . A rail dragster windscreen maybe. Rescued attachment 05-652.jpg
Rescued attachment 05-652.jpg

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

stevegough

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough

Regards, Steve.

Did you miss the Reg plate?

Very Nice job Russ!

My son's MK had a reg plate, but it hadn't been SVA'd ! ( bought off a mr dodgy! )

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

russbost

posted on 29/5/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Re the screen F1 cars actually run a flat (or very close to it) screen (when they run one at all) which has always confused me as i would have thought it would screw up all their fancy aero's, but I assume they know what they are doing
You could fit a curved screen without any probs, but I am leaving those sort of issues very much up to the individual.
And the sidepods I have intentionally left open as they make useful storage areas! As I'm taking the car 2 up to Le Mans in a couple of weeks with camping gear should prove useful - just have to make sure don't block the rad!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.