Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Air flow for oil cooler
MautoK

posted on 3/7/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Air flow for oil cooler

L&G,
I've acquired an oil cooler + pipes and going to install it to cool the auto box oil. The pipes are about 2 feet long and won't reach to the front of the car. The most convenient site for the cooler is the space to the NS of the bellhousing just forward of the passenger footwell.
I'm thinking of building trunking to take ambient air either between the water radiator and nose cone or between the front nearside wishbones back to the cooler then exiting through the side panel just below the trailing edge of the bonnet.
Does anyone know what the pressure regime is around the front and sides of the MK Indy? I need a high pressure zone for the inlet and low pressure for the outlet as I don't want to install a fan if possible.
Unfortunately I don't have any feel for where the high and low pressure zones are.... Anybody able to advise?
Thanks,
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

02GF74

posted on 4/7/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
L&G,
I've acquired an oil cooler + pipes and going to install it to cool the auto box oil. The pipes are about 2 feet long and won't reach to the front of the car.

errr, purchase longer hose?

MautoK

posted on 4/7/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
L&G,
I've acquired an oil cooler + pipes and going to install it to cool the auto box oil. The pipes are about 2 feet long and won't reach to the front of the car.

ummmm, I am looking for a Locost solution!

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

BenB

posted on 4/7/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'd buy some longer hoses. If they're fancy types you can usually take the end pieces off and just replace the hose itself.

going to be a lot better than trying to duct cool air around a hot engine bay....

02GF74

posted on 4/7/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
L&G,

ummmm, I am looking for a Locost solution!

seriously, oil hose is not that pricey. no need for fancy braided stuff to keep cost down.

the oil cooler itself is the expensive bit, followed by fancy aluminium fittings - steel ones work just as well just not as bling.

go on, unchain tht wallet ...

MautoK

posted on 4/7/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the pressure in the auto oil cooler loop isn't all that high; guessing less than 50 psi?
Anyone know?

I'm trying to identify the threads of all the fittings and whether they can be retro-fitted with longer hoses.
One of the ports on the auto box is very tight for space in the MK and the end fittings for that one will have to be remodelled.
John.

rusty nuts

posted on 4/7/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of tintop autos only use normal hose clips on the oil cooler hose so they don't have a lot of pressure in the cooler system .

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.