Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: inspiration needed for uni project - help!
luke

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
inspiration needed for uni project - help!

Hey all,

Looking for any help or suggestions anyone can give! I'm in my second year of a cad degree and for one module we have to design a product and create a prototype. We have no restraints on what we can design and have the universities engineering department at our desposal to create a prototype.

Basically there is that much scope for ideas were struggling to narrow it down, so I'm trying to find something kit car related.

Has anyone come accross any parts that need designing for a certain setup, or redesigning etc. I was thinking along the lines of pedal boxes but these seem pretty well covered.

The redesigns don't need to be massive, simple things like slight change of shape or colour count.

Any ideas would be truely welcome!

speedyxjs

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Jaguar XJ40 steering boss?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MakeEverything

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
How about an engine adapter plate to mate a UN1 gearbox to a Zetec?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Andy B

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Why not tackle the reverse issue for bike engine cars its an ongoing issue and with iva now requiring reverse with the exception of mnr's in line set up there is very little available that works satisfactorily
regards
Andy

iank

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a few possibles

Digital dashboard - doesn't have to work but a sexy design with all the displays ergonomically placed should be an interesting project.

A front double wishbone design that overcomes the problems seen in the locost ones.

Diff unit (internals from a regular unit) that bolts onto a motorbike casing rather than using an external unit, extra points if it has a reverse. (Quaif make one but it costs a kidney or two)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedyxjs

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Why not tackle the reverse issue for bike engine cars its an ongoing issue and with iva now requiring reverse with the exception of mnr's in line set up there is very little available that works satisfactorily
regards
Andy

Thats a good one. Common problem

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

luke

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent! I like the sound of the gearbox ideas, and the dash sounds good.

Can anyone give me a quick how BEC works? I'm guessing you put the smaller sprocket on the diff and chain drive it? I know there probably is plenty of threads but I'm on my phone so searching is a pain.

Thanks!

tegwin

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Most BECs have a propshaft bolted onto the place where the small sprocket used to be... and then have the shaft running to the back of the car to the diff...

If you could come up with some simple design for the reverse system using mostly off the shelf components... you might be able to make a few quid out of it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

britishtrident

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke
Excellent! I like the sound of the gearbox ideas, and the dash sounds good.

Can anyone give me a quick how BEC works? I'm guessing you put the smaller sprocket on the diff and chain drive it? I know there probably is plenty of threads but I'm on my phone so searching is a pain.

Thanks!

Honest advice ---- steer clear of anything involving gear design --- it can end up very complex

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

iank

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever you choose, make sure you update the thread with pictures when you're done Always interesting to see alternative designs.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

alistairolsen

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Find Rorty's thread about redesigning the locost front upright and read it, then finish what he started!

My Build Thread

JekRankin

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a kit car Luke?

I'd be tempted to take the opportunity to design some bespoke lightweight parts for my own car - if I could keep the parts afterwards, that is!

Maybe some aluminium hubs to your own design or CNC aluminum rear uprights?

A reverse for a BEC is a good idea for a project though. Would be interesting to see what you could come up with!

twybrow

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
How about a reliable and failsafe snap on/off steering boss? Clearly there is room for significant improvement in this area, and it seems achievable. I'm sure with a ghood design, you could make a few bob after the project.

A reverse box would be great, but to really do it justice might be tricky.

MikeR

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
What about something for setting up suspension - there are lots of solutions using bits of metal and string / tape measure. How about something integrated? Slap one on each wheel and it does everything at once.
Steve Hignett

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Quick Release Boss with zero play would be my first thought because it's a smaller item meaning less cost and easier to fabricate etc, but a set of front and rear Lightweight uprights would also be a good call!

designer

posted on 7/10/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Do a digi-dash unit, not too small, a complete dash package.

It will cover case design and electronics, and the packaging of it all.

And include a few light and switches.

Circuit drawings on my web site too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 7/10/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Do a digi-dash unit, not too small, a complete dash package.

It will cover case design and electronics, and the packaging of it all.

And include a few light and switches.

Circuit drawings on my web site too.

Thats not that hard to do ^ ^ case is a bit of a problem and making it look pretty SImly get the right AVr or PIC CPU and it would be easy enough.

Could include Indicatiors /lights / Wiper control / hazards REV/ Fuel etc into it.

Once i/o is worked out it is amatter of getting software done ....

----------------------------------------

Original Topic.

What Background are you looking for - Mechanical / Electrical / Mechatronic/ etc.

No point getting a Electronic Eng to design a gearbox adapter plate. UNI's normally want something different as fitting gearbox x to engine Y is not that strange. (Us locosters do this thing in sheds all the time)

Better working on a soultion to Couple 2 Bike engines into a V arrangment and then connection to a Type 9 g/box or something.

Green type projects will alway be a favorite. Like Wave Powered Car Battery Charger (i know stupid but only and example)

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MK9R

posted on 7/10/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke
Hey all,

Looking for any help or suggestions anyone can give! I'm in my second year of a cad degree and for one module we have to design a product and create a prototype. We have no restraints on what we can design and have the universities engineering department at our desposal to create a prototype.

Basically there is that much scope for ideas were struggling to narrow it down, so I'm trying to find something kit car related.

Has anyone come accross any parts that need designing for a certain setup, or redesigning etc. I was thinking along the lines of pedal boxes but these seem pretty well covered.

The redesigns don't need to be massive, simple things like slight change of shape or colour count.

Any ideas would be truely welcome!

How about a bolt on front subframe for a Fury with the raised suspension points? I'll even make it for you as long as i can fit it to my car? Keep the suspension geometry, redesign the crap space frame around it and make it bolt on

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 7/10/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
What about something for setting up suspension - there are lots of solutions using bits of metal and string / tape measure. How about something integrated? Slap one on each wheel and it does everything at once.

funny you should say that, i've just ordered 2 laser levels and fabricating brackets so they spin on the hubs and project lines onto the garage floor

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MakeEverything

posted on 7/10/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Heres something, based on MAD4x4's post.

Design two bike engines in V formation, but with a twin con rod from a single big end journal. This way, you only need one (Strong) crank with 4 journals, but running 8 cylinders!

A fantastic engineering feat if you can make it work.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

designer

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't some Australian bloke build two bike engines in V formation?
David Jenkins

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Quick Release Boss with zero play would be my first thought because it's a smaller item meaning less cost and easier to fabricate etc, but a set of front and rear Lightweight uprights would also be a good call!

Even more relevant - design a quick-release that will make it absolutely clear when it's incorrectly fitted. For example, some form of lock that just won't go into place unless the boss is fitted exactly right. Of course, when the lock is in place it won't come undone until the owner does some positive action to undo it!

adithorp

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Light weight replacment Sierra front hubs?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MakeEverything

posted on 7/10/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Light weight replacment Sierra front hubs?

adrian

They already exist, but could be a cheap pway of getting some!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

RK

posted on 8/10/09 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
I like the digital dash idea. Most of them, apart from the 400 pounds + variety, look like moped parts.

And the C'ham Levante is a double block Yamaha BEC really, so that's been done.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.