Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: It's official
02GF74

posted on 29/11/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's official

... my engine is f**ked.

took the plugs out, turned it over - turned over easily, no fountains of water out the plug holes.

fitted plugs, wired up leads and started it up.
no nasty noises, running smoothly too, hmmmmm looked promising..

...... but after 2 mins, see steam coming out of exhaust and from juncture of central two exhausts ...

Oh well, look like a head off job.

question remains as to why it overheated in the first place?

omega0684

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
turbodisplay

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
At the risk of stating the obvious, it is not condensation from water produced from combustion. I thought the headgasket had gone on my first start, it was just because it was very cold.
If it is the head gasket have you looked at thoses head seal fluids. My neighbour owns a garage and he has seen that stuff work, (on a jeep) about 2 years plus still working.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
bad times

think my bmws engine is going the same way. it was a cold night the other night, but lots of steam out the exhaust when it was at full temperature. also took about 2 litres of coolant. and the system was olny refilled a few weeks ago

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

prawnabie

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Mexico head if yours is fooked - You can have it FOC just sick of seeing it TBH lol
rusty nuts

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Was the engine known to be good ? Did it have the pipe from the inlet manifold connected to the water pump? Did the thermostat have a small bleed hole ? Chances are when the engine was installed it had a blown gasket or it had an airlock behind the thermostat. I always removed the thermostat housing when filling mine until the water level was at the top of the head surface before refitting the thermostat and housing but recently fitted a bleed valve in the manifold to pump pipe. Does your car have an electric fan? Is it working?
02GF74

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Was the engine known to be good ?
told by seller it was good. I stripped it down and reassembled it with some improved bits e.g. duplex vernier timing gear, big valve head, steel post rocker gear, BCF2 cam
Did it have the pipe from the inlet manifold connected to the water pump?
yes, as per original 1300.
Did the thermostat have a small bleed hole ?
No, brand new 'stat but I drilled 4 mm hole, so yes. 'stat not tested.
Chances are when the engine was installed it had a blown gasket or it had an airlock behind the thermostat. I always removed the thermostat housing when filling mine until the water level was at the top of the head surface before refitting the thermostat and housing but recently fitted a bleed valve in the manifold to pump pipe.
Does your car have an electric fan? Is it working?
Yes, fan works, in fact it was running more than it should have been

02GF74

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
At the risk of stating the obvious, it is not condensation from water produced from combustion. I thought the headgasket had gone on my first start, it was just because it was very cold.
If it is the head gasket have you looked at thoses head seal fluids. My neighbour owns a garage and he has seen that stuff work, (on a jeep) about 2 years plus still working.
Darren

nope, definitely not.

I hjadto pur in 1.5 kettles worth of water then left the radiator cap off.

When I got the engine running, I could see what appear to be smoke couming out?!! not sure if it was, but exhaust did not steam until about 2 minutes - obviously the engine warmed up, stuff expanded and out comes the steam.

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/11/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have known a Xflow head to crack between an inlet and exhaust valve seat on a cylinder, leading to water in the exhaust. (personal experience)

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

02GF74

posted on 29/11/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ thanks, youo've really cheered me up.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/11/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Favourite place is the very thin bit between cylinders 2 & 3, usually caused by careless torquing down...

...but you probably didn't want to hear that either.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.