Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What to build next?
StevieB

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
What to build next?

I have to sell my Indy soon (coming to a for sale section near you, as soon as my new TD Pro-Races and Aeroscreen arrive to finish it off properly) as I need a cash injection.

However, I shall be starting again with a new project, which will have slightly different parameters than my first build.

Basically, I want to get on the road again in the cheapest, easiest way possible. But it must also have decent handling and the ability to upgrade over time as I can afford it.

This basically means single donor using either sierra or MX5. I'm not massivley keen on the idea of a pinto engine but am not fully used to having a BEC either (been out today and scared myself witless ).

Any suggestions?

I like the idea of the Haynes Roadster, but am not keen on the size of it.

Another option is to go down the original Locost route, but do an IRS conversion.

Third option is to find a decently priced sarter kit, possibly another Indy, GBS Zero, Aries, GTS etc.

Any thoughts? (apart from the obvious about GTS - I want to ignore any attached stigma's for now )

Cheers

Steve

[Edited on 7/3/10 by StevieB]

tegwin

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont you do something totally different..

Get something like a classic TVR... Pre 1972 is best for free tax..

Either 1600m, 2500M or 3000m..... As standard they are quite amusing to drive, but with some cunning fiddling with suspension etc you could turn it into a monster....

JHust a thought...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

speedyxjs

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
How about design your own car?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

StevieB

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I can't afford to buy a classic for restoration/re-working. If I could I would either be able to afford to keep the Indy or would just go and buy one fot eh Fury's currently on Pistonheads.

I do have many chassis sketches around the house over the years, which could be a consideration. However, since I've never welded anything before, I kind of figured I should stick to a known recipe so I can concentrate on getting the ctual fabrication right.

tomprescott

posted on 7/3/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I had never done any welding before I started my build, don't let that stop you! Yeah its taken me a long time and I'm still not finished but hopefully will be soon! If you have some chassis designs available then go for it, what you spend in time is usually made up for in £, so if your low on dough make the chassis yourself rather than buying one!
zilspeed

posted on 7/3/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I can't afford to buy a classic for restoration/re-working. If I could I would either be able to afford to keep the Indy or would just go and buy one fot eh Fury's currently on Pistonheads.

I do have many chassis sketches around the house over the years, which could be a consideration. However, since I've never welded anything before, I kind of figured I should stick to a known recipe so I can concentrate on getting the ctual fabrication right.

Buy a welder and some box section. Make a stand for the welder and some shelving for the garage.
After they're good, start on the chassis.

Sir Alan

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
what to biuld

Hello
have you seen the new SR2 kit from Roadrunner Racing, it uses the mx5 donor and if you use the 1.6 you can add a turbo to the engine without any upgrade. It looks like a very good car the web site is www.roadrunnerracing.net car

Sir Alan

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
look at the SR2

Hello
have you seen the new SR2 kit from Roadrunner Racing, it uses the mx5 donor and if you use the 1.6 you can add a turbo to the engine without any upgrade. It looks like a very good car the web site is www.roadrunnerracing.net

leepo

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
try the new SR2

Hi If you fancy another try the new SR2 from roadrunner they are in new premises at rotherham, the car looks fantastic and uses the MX5 donor but you can also fit a bike engine instead. The frame is CAD designed and is very light and is made from round tube not the all common square tubing. They said they would sell the kit in any stage a customer would like to have, the website is www.roadrunnerracing.net
StevieB

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
My main issue with MX5 donor cars is that they need to utilise more of the donor to make it worthwhile.

For instance, the Westfield MX5 based car uses a huge amount of the donor that would probably need to be bought separately on a sierra based car. The MX5 costs more, but you use a lot more of it.

If all you take for other MX5 based cars are the hubs, engine, gearbox etc. It doesn't make the same economic sense.

I know the MX5 has a better engine and MUCH better gearbox, but my goal this time round will be to get on the road in the most economic manner.

Still, I like the look of the SR2 - it's a neat little design and that gearbox is rather a nice thing. Then there's the chance of a superchager.......

ashg

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
whats wrong with the roadster its only 2 inches wider than an indy.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

DavidM

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
If I built another it would be an original locost but with IRS or de dion, wide track front suspension and a few other tweeks to the basic design.

David

Proportion is Everything

StevieB

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
whats wrong with the roadster its only 2 inches wider than an indy.

I think it's a proportional thing (IMHO anyway) - I just think it looks a bit big.

nick205

posted on 7/3/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I'm in the self same situation as you right now. Sold My Indy to part fund a new tin top due to an expanding family, but now want to get building again on a low locost basis.

I had grand ideas of building a RWD Pug 205, but the reality is that it would cost a lot to do to a good standard.

I've looked at all the usual 7 a-like kits and the scratch build route, but keep coming back to the overall cost of producing something to a standard I'd be happy with - I'm not talkng flash, just built properly.

For my money it's got to br a part built kit where someone else has laid out the cash and you can cash in on the value a little more. I'm keeping an eye out for somethign suitable - would like a Raw striker or Aries ideally.

StevieB

posted on 7/3/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
A part built would bother me as there would no doubt be things done that I don't like that can't be reversed easily.

Another Indy kit would be a consideration as it's a known quantity to me and there's things I would do differently second time round.

It's the up front cost of getting a kit that's the big hurdle - if I build a chassis then I can get going for a much lower cost initially. You see my dilema?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.