Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: She doesnt look quite as bad as i thought!
speedyxjs

posted on 17/3/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the comments (even the urghh ones )

The reason i did it the way i have was mainly to save money and i really want this car on the road. If you have read any of my previous posts, you will see that i also didnt like it and am still unsure.

The other issue is that im certain that there are no seven noses the right size for my car (6" wider than roadster) and no wings to fit 225/60/16 tyres.

Although i do think what Mike has done is a major improvement over my original plan (cheers mate ) which was to have a flat bonnet, tapered from the back edge of the wing to the scuttle and fit a mesh grill to the gap, i think i may have to view the last few weeks of planning the body work as a waste and start from scratch

Aaah well, we live and learn. Anyone want to buy a couple of TR6 wings?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Benzine

posted on 17/3/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
lol @ loads of negative comments when it's still a long way from being finished. Go for it, I say. The transition from full front end to slim rear could be very very hard to pull off, the slim rear could make it look quite hammerhead shark/spade like but if you can get it to work then do it ^_^, I'd go full bodied personally as it'd be easier to get a nice flowing line

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 17/3/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure that woudl pass IVA Benzine

Bluemoon

posted on 17/3/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

The reason i did it the way i have was mainly to save money and i really want this car on the road. If you have read any of my previous posts, you will see that i also didnt like it and am still unsure.

The other issue is that im certain that there are no seven noses the right size for my car (6" wider than roadster) and no wings to fit 225/60/16 tyres.

Although i do think what Mike has done is a major improvement over my original plan (cheers mate ) which was to have a flat bonnet, tapered from the back edge of the wing to the scuttle and fit a mesh grill to the gap, i think i may have to view the last few weeks of planning the body work as a waste and start from scratch

To do a good job is probably going to be more expensive than the traditional approach... Just a thought

You might be able to get a cheap damaged nose cone from someone then cut it to make it wider (many have done this).. You could also widen arches in the same way or just make them from ali if your up for a challenge.. Do the rest of the body in ali is probably going to work out the cheapest anyhow...

gazza285

posted on 17/3/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Respect to the Munster's Koach!

And a photo of Dragula.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 17/3/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
2nd hand damaged panels from racers/folk on here and repair is a good cheap way forward.

i got mine from race drivers, pretty much free really. a complete set of new panels is like £3500... yes, some of them were actually broken in half, and badly repaired, or smashed up, but still a lot cheaper. you could easily get a damaged nose, cut it in half, widen it, and stick it all back together

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Simon

posted on 17/3/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Speedy,

When I (and Craig1410 and a few other) started our builds, we were doing +4" and no-one was doing wider bodywork. So we bought a nosecone, cut it in half and widened it. See pics in my archive 10000066/68/69

I also made my wheelarches - they took about 1/2 hour each.

Making arches is easy - see this diagram.

Making panels
Making panels

Two sheets of MDF, cut slots in to profile of arch. Bend some ally and fit it into slots - you may need to brace the ends as ally tends to bow. Inside I used plaster of paris to give the rounded edges of arches (using a piece of wood with profile cut out). Use a square edge for one side of rear arches.

Grease and lay up. Wait an hour, remove do next.

They will need work, but this is a quick way of doing it and I did my scuttle in the same way

ATB

Simon

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/3/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I got a set of cycle wings you can have for free - they are red, and not wide enough, but I bet you could widen them no probs - far easier than the fabircation needed in your unique front end.

All the best whatever you decide mate - the good thing about a kit car is that it is YOURS, and very subjective - it would just be a real shame for you to look back and think... what if...

JoelP

posted on 17/3/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
i scrapped the first car i built (even after i had got it driving) because the bodywork was looking like too much effort. Dont underestimate how hard it is to do it from scratch, especially when you're not entirely sure you will like the finished product.

Couldnt find a pic of it in my archive, but i one of my second car - cant believe they let me on trackdays it:

Pic4
Pic4

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

stevebubs

posted on 17/3/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Speedy,

I'm with the "WTF" brigade, also.

Surely it'll be *less* work to widen an existing nosecone and maybe fabricate up some wings to fit over the tyres?

GRP's not *that* hard - even I can just about do it.

Stephen

boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
speak to clairetoo.....

she may be able to do you some carbon fiber bits.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

dlatch

posted on 18/3/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
speedy i have some black front cycle wings 240mm
they might be just the job or could be fettled to suit at least.
my aunt lives in polegate and i could have brought them with me next time i visited but i don't know atm when exactly that will be, you can have them free though if it stops you putting them tr6 wings on

speedyxjs

posted on 20/3/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
speedy i have some black front cycle wings 240mm
they might be just the job or could be fettled to suit at least.
my aunt lives in polegate and i could have brought them with me next time i visited but i don't know atm when exactly that will be, you can have them free though if it stops you putting them tr6 wings on

I might take you up on that. Il see how my 'practice' goes first and whether they fit the profile of my tyres

Grimsdale

posted on 21/3/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
speedy, i have a damaged nosecone you can have for nowt. Has taken a bit of a hit, but it's mostly intact.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.