Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitcar insurance for young driver
russbost

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Kitcar insurance for young driver

I have a customer who is only 18, been building one of my cars & around this time last year got a quote from Footman James of around £800 for 3000 mile a year policy. He has now gone to insure the car only to be told they no longer insure drivers under the age of 23!

He's tried most of the usual suspects, Flux, 2gether etc etc, they are all saying the same thing, over 23 only.

Does anyone know of a company that will definitely take a 17 year old on a kitcar policy, I guess as a named driver on policy in his fathers name would be adequate?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dan__wright

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
really? 2gether insured me at 21 on a bec, FJ say min of 25 to insure a bec.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

cd.thomson

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
really? 2gether insured me at 21 on a bec, FJ say min of 25 to insure a bec.

irrelevant to the thread but 2gether did inform me of a 160% weighting for under 23 year olds after telling me they weren't sure if they could insure me.

Stuart B on this site is pretty young I think and he can't get insured on anything above a 1.6 in the kit so he couldn't upgrade to a duratec as he was planning.

Craig

StrikerChris

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Quoterack (think that was the name) sorted me straight from a ban,maybe worth a try?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Provided its not his main car and is only a "toy"... I would register it in his fathers name and then add himself as a named driver.

I share the TVR with my old man like this. Both of us drive it more or less the same amount.... Because its an "odd" policy no claims discount is irrelivent etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

geeksandlies

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I dont know if this helps but Marlin Sports Cars were able to sort me out a decent quote when i was 19/20 but that was 6 yearws ago! Not sure who they use?!?
eddie99

posted on 13/4/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Footman James online system still give quotes upto 1.8 engines!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bigdrew

posted on 13/4/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 19 and asked many companies. Flux were the only ones who would insure me and they wanted just over two grand for 1500 miles on a Luego velocity 2L zetec. Not really what I was looking to pay.

Talk my dad into sharing it with me when its finished is the plan.

Shouldn't be too hard!

james h

posted on 13/4/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I got insured at 20 with Adrian Flux on my R1 Indy
Stuart_B

posted on 13/4/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i am insured with footman james, when i spoke to the manger, they had told me when they got taken over, as they are not relay footman james any more, they have changed there policy not to insure under 25 for 1.8 or bigger car or any bike engines.

but as i am an existing customer they will keep my insurance.

i told eddie99, he done a online quote and said he can, but i think online quotes, they do not have to agree them try and pay for it and they can do what they want.

if it is a car engine, Adrian flux, i got a quote for 2700pounds for a 1.6 pinto when i was 17.

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

eddie99

posted on 13/4/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Getting worried again!! Footman james a month ago were giving quotes online. Can't get any today

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

Grimsdale

posted on 13/4/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
osbourne and sons gave insured me for £700 5 years ago when i was 22, so might be worth a try. since then i've been with fluxy.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.