Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec
55ant

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec

Hi guys,

right, im being a bit silly and thinking aloud really.

in the winter im thinking of changing the pinto engine in the indy to a duratec engine. reasons for the duratec are for me, muchos lighter, exhaust same side, fit to type 9, MORE POWER!,

so, im sure some people have done this swap, what am i going to need, id like to know so i can start aquiring over the summer.

engine wise, i see there is the 2.0 and 2.3, also all sorts of things like '170' attatched to differant things, what should i be looking for if i was hoping the have a car considerably 'better' than the current pinto engine.

thanks for any bits of advice all.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

snapper

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec bellhousing bolt pattern is different to other Ford engines, Rally design do a special bellhousing for type9

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

iank

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
As ^^, Duratec doesn't bolt onto a type 9 without a bellhousing.

Check out Flak's build (and simply delete the supercharger) for fitting into a 7.
Start here -> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=109801

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

flak monkey

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
For starters the ST170 engine is not a duratec, its a zetec so avoid that one if you want an alloy block.

The one to look for is the 2 litre Duratec HE from a 2001 on mondeo or 2005 on Focus.

The way to tell is the duratec is all alloy block and has a cam chain, not belt. The capacity is cast into the block on the exhuast side, bottom near the bellhousing.

Watch out for rattly big end bearings on high milers and ones that have eaten their swirl valves from the original plastic inlet. Other than that they are pretty bomb proof.

I would recommend a rebuild and swap to HD big end bearings - easy job with the sump off - it has to be changed anyway for a lower one.

I can offer a weld your own shallow sump kit for around £75. Fully baffled.

The you will just need a bellhousing to suit your gearbox, around £200 new but come up on ebay at times. Std T9 box will take the power.

Flywheel try and get on from an ST150 fiesta then fit an RS turbo cover plate and normal pinto friction plate. Should all be possible for under £100.

Induction really needs to be throttle bodies - either bike or jenvey depending on your budget.

You'll then need engine management, megasquirt is cheapest though you will struggle to get it set up on a rolling road as no one will touch them. The easier option is Omex.

Pinto exhaust manifold is modifiable (look in my build thread) very easy to do and costs about £20.

David

[Edited on 26/4/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

55ant

posted on 26/4/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
brilliant, thanks for the quick and eaerly morning replies all.

ok so looks like its more buy brand new stuff but as said ill keep an eye out for bits on ebay.

what sort of power are the 2.0 with tb's pushing out? and how uch lighter would this be comparerd to the 2.0 pinto?

55ant

posted on 26/4/10 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
flak monkey, id seen your thread a couple of times but just read it start to finnish, wow!

unfortunately im now running late for uni but that looks amazing, are you going to stoneliegh? id love to see it!

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/4/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
David, what is your view on the 1.8 duratec, also does your sump fit this.

I have opportunity to pick one up cheap.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

flak monkey

posted on 26/4/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
1.8 is ok if you dont want to tune it as there are no tuning bits available for it hence why they are so cheap.

Sump will fit, identical blocks just smaller bore.

Std 2 litre should put out 180-200bhp on throttle bodies with no other mods.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/4/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
ok, will let you know

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Stuart_B

posted on 26/4/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
as said, by david i did start doing one, but after i rebuilt the engine, a was getting ready to wire it up in the chassis, the i could not get a insurance quote on it.

the engine is only 96kgs, compered to the pinto of 145kgs, so a massive improvement, i has hoping to get 180 with bike throttle biddies and a few hours on a rolling road.

i have a lot smaller build thread, mainly rebuilding the engine through.

if you can here it running the better, as if you get a 2001, that is where the butterfly can brake and get eaten by the engine.

as well i think the mx5 2006 or 2005 onwards had the duratec in on to a 6 speed box.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.