Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: security
55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
security

I really want to use the indy as much as possible over the summer, mainly because its awsome, but also becasue swmbo has said i hardly use it so why have it? now im no fool, although this was only metioned at dinner, i know this secretly means she wants me to get rid of it and buy some cushions or something.

The only issue i have with using the car is leaving it places. Im always a little concerned people will muck around with it etc, so what have you guys got on your cars, im thinking an imobaliser and a tonneou (sp) cover?

[Edited on 11/5/10 by 55ant]

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

blakep82

posted on 11/5/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
what is it with birds and cushions?! there was a thread yesterday about selling something to buy cushions! when i sit down on the sofa, the cushions get flung to f***

anyway, yeah, immobiliser and cover (even a tarp with bungee cords round the wheels would do) is probably your best bet. stops people trying to nick it AND leaving anything nasty in it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

wilkingj

posted on 11/5/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I got a Stirling imobiliser (Thatcham cat2), 2 circuit job. Got it off ebay.
I also got it certified by my local VSIB installer, and get the discount on the insurance as well. They race a Se7en so were very helpful.

Well worth doing. Just make sure you hide the box up pretty well, and hide all the wiring in with the existing loom, ie not taped to the outside so its obvious whats what.

A mechanical tap or valve in the fuel line is good too. They get it started (if its got a carb) then stop again 100 yards up the road!

Just my 2d's worth

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
m8kwr

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Exhaust running both sides, just in case they get a little too close.

But i know what you mean, i never like leaving mine out of sight, a cover is a good idea.

A removable steering wheel.

pewe

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't matter where you leave it it's vulnerable.
My main concern was some scrote slipping the handbrake off and pushing it away - bought one of these V.
Not much money (c.£20) and provides a visual and physical deterrent.
Autolok Original.
Bought two big tool clips and now it sits behind the seats ready to slip on as soon as I'm parked up.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

blakep82

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
hmm, handbrake, good point. sure you could find a way of drilling under the lever and fitting a pad lock so it can't be lowered (and can't be driven until its been released) ?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
cool cheers guys, i have a removable steering wheel, a mechanical shut of valve in the fuel line, the handbrake thingy is brilliant, so good i got one, unfortunately it doesnt fit my gear lever and is to far away from the handbrake, doh.

to be honest if its going to be stolen its going to be stolen, its more the opertunist vandal im concerned about, the kind of gentleman who thinks his freinds will respect him more if he turns the hazzards on and undoes the handbrake etc. maybe an electrical cut of is a good idea too?

anyone recomend someone who can do a tonneau, its an mk indy, i seem to remember i have emailed milson but didnt get a reply, ill see if i can get hold of him

cd.thomson

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
self destruct

Craig

55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

self destruct

hahahahaha, brilliant. maybe i could just train a big dog to sit in it. maybe with a falcon to come and warn me when someones near it?

eznfrank

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
probably more likely to get a response from Milson if you via ebay, i think his id is mils123fishing or something similar.
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've fitted and immobiliser but plan to make a cover to go over the roll cage and bungie under the body to keep rain out of the cockpit and keep prying eyes and fingers out. I like the padlock through the handbrake idea! I think I'll try that as well!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
cheers frank, ill send him an email,

ant

UncleFista

posted on 11/5/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I find kids etc. don't find the need to get in and "play" as much when there's no steering wheel fitted.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
cool, i always take the steering wheel out.

55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
anyone made their own tonneau?

blakep82

posted on 11/5/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gju1AWFfsmg

55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
anyone know where i can get a well trained monkey?

Guinness

posted on 11/5/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I've just bought a cover from the guy on ebay :-

It arrived this morning and I'm having a trial fit this lunchtime. Looks like a cagoul? type of fabric. Brilliantly made, just needs some additional hooks / ties to hold it in place in the Scottish Highlands next week.

BenB

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Removable steering wheel, cut-off switch, and incredible long legs (and no seat runners) so only a lanky tea leaf (or one with tea boxes on his feet Indiana Jones stylee) would be able to nick it.
skinned knuckles

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
i saw a 7 type outside my house last year that the owner had made some fibreglass panels that fitted securely over the cockpit. the seemed to fit in the passenger footwell/seat area when not in use but i thought it looked quite cool as he drove off with the passenger side still in place.to give the look of a single seater. his was a much older 7 type though with seat backs that didn't come above the hight of the cockpit.

[Edited on 11/5/10 by skinned knuckles]

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I went the competition route, with the vulnerability of the car in normal situational useage being high.
I'd get everything from dangerous intimidation on the road in all it's forms, also idiots that wanted a race, etc., etc. The car would fill up with junk if parked, bits would be removed and/or tampered wth. I gave up riding a motorcycle around for the same reason.... helped by the fact that an elderly citizen reversed his car over my orange Triumph Tiger (yes the very large modern version) since it was invisible.
So yep, I drive a Mk1 Mondeo everywhere.
I drive the 7 on the track, frequently.

skinned knuckles

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
anyone know where i can get a well trained monkey?

just pop into any BT call centre, the place is full of them

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I dont leave my kit car around and about, but only as i havn't really gone many places.

I have however owned motorbikes for years.

They have all the same problems as a kit car, as far as accesable switches etc. and security.

In my experience the very best way of protecting it is a cover.

Works a treat as no one knows what is under it.

The second thing is a bl%$£y big lock, to something very solid.

The first puts off kids and prats - and a cover really does.

And the second puts off the people who are opportunistic theives.

Anything more, in my opinion is useless - if they are any good at being a theif and want your car they will have it - but please don't think that kit cars are desirable - they aint! How many do you here of being stolen?

They would be fun to nick, so the opportunistic theives might want to joy ride them and then burn them out, but simple heavy lock/chain puts them off.

I know a builder on here who left his kit outside his house with the keys in the ignition for years with no problems - and he lives in the middle of a housing estate so not like he is out the way.

There is a seller on ebay selling half covers, from ripstop waterproof fabric which look great. A full cover would be better if you have room.

Benzine

posted on 11/5/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm, handbrake, good point. sure you could find a way of drilling under the lever and fitting a pad lock so it can't be lowered (and can't be driven until its been released) ?

I have no plastic shroud round my handbrake. I just had a look and on the sierra handbrake there's already a convenient hole in just the right place ^_^ and it's not a tiny hole, you could get a fairy decent sized lock through it

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 12/5/10 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Its something I've thought about and asked other people about. My uncle said the worst things with open cars was people chucking rubbish in it (He had an Alfa with a broken roof and an auto box that he locked in park with a clamp thing).
Cover it and leave it somewhere in view and you should be alright, people arne't likely to do much if they're being watched.
If you worried about people actually knicking it, chain it to lamp posts, that what most of my mates with Bikes do.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.