Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Given the runaround in Ontario
RK

posted on 20/5/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Given the runaround in Ontario

The provincial government #2 is not giving straight answers as to what they require for me to safely drive my new car on the roadways of Ontario. When phoned, they say one thing, when in person in the offices (after taking an afternoon off work, of course), they say another. Now there is NO published, easily available, information that is up to date, regarding putting a car like this on the road. Apparently, the rules have changed midstream.

So, on to province #3. Goodbye little car. I'll see you once a year!!

In short, enjoy your cars; you have one thing many other countries can't have: cars made in the garage, driven on the roadways.

prawnabie

posted on 20/5/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have a friend in Richmond hill, ON who has put a locost on the road with a sigma engine. Think it was built prob 10 years ago though.
prawnabie

posted on 20/5/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have a friend in Richmond hill, ON who has put a locost on the road with a sigma engine. Think it was built prob 10 years ago though.
RK

posted on 20/5/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have the stomach for any more crap. I am searching for a decent mover at this point to ship it to BC. A little nervous about leaving it in a rail yard somewhere...
Canada EH!

posted on 20/5/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
One of the Directors of CASC was on a commity that worked this all out years ago. Kit Car, Hot Rods, et el.
As far as I am concerned a simple safety as required for a used car is all that is required in Ontario.
Find a shop that works on racing cars, not the local brain dead at the corner garage.
What are you telling them? That's causing all the problems, do not on any account tell them it's home built, puts it in a trailer catagory. It's a Kit Car.

RK

posted on 21/5/10 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
It's not got past the idiots at the motor vehicle counter, who then get on the horn to some other goofball in head office in Toronto or Quebec City, who tells them I need what I went there to get from them!

I have a sympathetic motorsports club member already lined up. He was looking forward to seeing it in his garage (approved by the gods at motor vehicle ontario), and then at Calabogie for lapping days. Won't happen. I ain't trailering this thing all over the place at $50 a pop for trailer rental.

It is not what it was even one year ago. Believe me here. The attitudes and rules have changed.

[Edited on 21/5/10 by RK]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/5/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.canadianrodder.com/features/fyi/registering.htm

How do hotrodders do it

Homemade Vehicle
Constructed without using manufactured main components (e.g. body and chassis / frame both made from scratch), and therefore has no V.I.N.
NOTE: This designation is primarily for homemade trailers, constructed by the owner.

Homemade vehicles are registered in Ontario as:

V.I.N.: assigned "HOM"
MAKE: HOME
MODEL: HOM
MODEL YEAR: Year the homemade vehicle was built and registered with the
ministry.

Kit cars are not homemade vehicles, for registration purposes

Kit car owners should be aware of a problem with the misuse of the "homemade" classification in registering their motor vehicles.

There have been a number of kit cars which have been incorrectly registered in the past as "homemade," and it appears that this is usually because of the owner misusing the term "homebuilt vehicle" on the notarized affidavit filed with MTO.

Please note that there is no such term on vehicle permits as "homebuilt," and the term "homebuilt" should not be used on notarized affidavits filed with MTO, as it does not properly describe the vehicle, or the origin of the major component parts.

Furthermore, if your kit car is incorrectly registered as model "HOM" instead of model "KIT", you will not be eligible for any exemption from the Drive Clean inspection requirement.

The only motor vehicles which should be registered as "homemade" by MTO, are motor vehicles where both the body and the chassis/frame have been completely constructed by the owner from scratch, without the benefit of a kit or a guide for assembly of the parts, or the purchase of a specialty frame or kit body, or a guide to construct the kit body and/or frame.

Seems like you are the path finder

[Edited on 21-5-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

RK

posted on 21/5/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I read that a long time ago. This information is out of date. The motor vehicle people will not give you a VIN, if you built a kit car, although that piece says they will. If I register as a Home Built, I need to pass emissions. A Nissan 1989 engine will never meet 2010 standards, the year of the car manufacture.

THINGS HAVE CHANGED. I am providing information here. It is too late for me, but not for others who think they can put their cars on the road in Canada. Somehow we are seen as a threat to GM and Ford.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.