Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone done the drag strip thing?
StrikerChris

posted on 19/6/10 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
anyone done the drag strip thing?

A friend of mine got his well modded kadett down Santa pod in 12.8 on road tyres without nitrous lastweeks.obviously i'll be racing him when funds allow!anyone had times for a 200+ish 350 torqe ish 7 down a strip so I know how much i'll loose by?!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bmseven

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Some comparisons here

1/4 mile calculator

BenB

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Ooooh. I reckon it might be quite close!

In my BEC (100Bhp at the wheels, 480kg) I was getting mid 13s and that was with carbs which weren't quite up to the job. When I dumped the clutch despite giving it the beans the mixture was going crazily rich as the vacuum hit the piston and it was bogging down horribly.

Roll on EFi

ReMan

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Beat me to it.
Looks like your mate will be crying into his cornflakes!

mookaloid

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think it will be a close run thing - I did just over 13 s in my pinto indy at the MK drag day a few years ago which was probably just shy of 200bhp.

There is also gearing to take into account - a 3.92 diff will be quicker over the quarter than a 3,62 if all else is the same.

Cant remember the exact time as the results thread has gone now.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

phoenix70

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with 7's on the drag strip is getting the power down. too much torque and not a lot of weight mean wheelspin off the line and lots of lost time. I've seen some busa powered 7's running low 12's and dipping into the 11's so, you should be able to give the kadet a run for it's money.
iank

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the gearing and if you can get the power down in the start. Sitting there spinning the tyres like crazy isn't the fastest way up the strip which with 350 ft lbs of torque and bugger all weight over the rear wheels is quite likely.

If you can then it should be pretty close.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

StrikerChris

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hehe.promising feedback,I feel a dual coming on!my cars quite tall geared,200sx running gear,about 75 80 in 2nd,110 115 in third if you give it death,is that better or worse on the strip?
Ps this is the said kadett

http://www.opel-kadett-c.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=176

[Edited on 19/6/10 by StrikerChris]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dlatch

posted on 19/6/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
its won or lost off the line you will need a LSD.

gearing sounds like standard road car so not ideal for the strip but with the light weight i think you will get away with it.

paulf

posted on 19/6/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I did Santapod a while back and manged 13.5s, 101mph with rubbish tyres that wheel spun for the first couple of gears.That is with a 2 litre zetec.
Paul

Jaybeee

posted on 19/6/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
On a slightly different tread I've been down santa pod in Grumpys Dodge! it was excelent 1/4 mile under 10 seconds http://www.paulmarstonracing.com/grumpysdodge.htm
turboben

posted on 19/6/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like gears dont matter after all - Grumpy's Dodge runs 9s with two gears.
Seriously if you have 350 lbft of torque you probably wont have to worry about gear spacing, just pulling away and what you end up in. How fast do you go in first? I tried a taller diff and the wheelspin lasted for ever but with 4.1:1 (55mph) I can get it to hook just as the turbo comes in.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.